WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. - The Indiana Beef Cattle Association and Purdue Extension will host 10 meetings around the state in December and January to give cattle producers the latest industry information.
The annual meetings will feature updates on the manure application rule, farm legislation and the use of farm plates when traveling out of state.
"This is an opportunity for farmers to get updates on new rules and regulations, and recommendations to improve compliance and profitability," said Ron Lemenager, Purdue Extension beef specialist.
The IBCA will discuss how dues and beef checkoff dollars are used to help producers remain profitable and sustainable. The Indiana Board of Animal Health also will provide an update for producers.
Lemenager said the meetings could be more geographically valuable this year because representatives from the areas were also able to select an informational topic from a list of options that included mega-trends facing the industry, land use and forage production, new reproductive efficiency research results, and value-added marketing.
Meeting dates, times and locations:
* Area 1: Dec. 12, 6:30 p.m., Southeast Purdue Agricultural Center, Butlerville. Register by Dec. 9 to Kris Medic at 812-379-1665. Counties in this area are Bartholomew, Brown, Dearborn, Decatur, Jackson, Jefferson, Jennings, Ohio, Ripley and Switzerland.
* Area 2: Jan. 11, 11 a.m., Southern Hills Church, Salem. Register by Jan. 4 to Danielle Walker at 812-883-4601 or email@example.com. Counties: Clark, Crawford, Floyd, Harrison, Lawrence, Orange, Scott and Washington.
* Area 3: Jan. 6, 6:30 p.m., Haubstadt Park Restaurant, Haubstadt. Register by Jan. 3 to the Purdue Extension Gibson County office at 812-385-3491. Counties: Daviess, Dubois, Gibson, Knox, Martin, Perry, Pike, Posey, Spencer, Vanderburgh and Warrick.
* Area 5: Jan. 13, 6:30 p.m., Exhibit Hall, Clay County Fairgrounds, Brazil. Register by Jan. 9 to Jenna Smith at 812-448-9041 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Counties: Clay, Greene, Monroe, Owen, Parke, Putnam, Sullivan, Vermillon and Vigo.
* Area 6: Dec. 11, 6:30 p.m., Morgan County Administration Building, Martinsville. Register by Dec. 6 to Chris Parker at 765-342-1010. Counties: Boone, Hamilton, Hancock, Hendricks, Johnson, Marion, Morgan and Shelby.
* Area 7: Jan. 9, 6:30 p.m., Smith's Family Farm, Pendleton. Register by Jan. 4 to Jill Dorff at 765-641-9514 or email@example.com. Counties: Blackford, Delaware, Fayette, Franklin, Henry, Jay, Madison, Randolph, Rush, Union and Wayne.
* Area 8: Jan. 7, 6 p.m., Cass County Fairgrounds. Register by Jan. 3 to the Purdue Extension Cass County office at 574-753-7750 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Counties: Carroll, Cass, Clinton, Fulton, Grant, Howard, Miami, Tipton and Wabash.
* Area 9: Dec. 16, 6:30 p.m., McGraw's Steakhouse, West Lafayette. Register by Dec. 11 to Jeff Phillips, 765-474-0793 or email@example.com. Counties: Benton, Fountain, Jasper, Montgomery, Newton, Pulaski, Tippecanoe, Warren and White.
* Area 10: Dec. 12, 6 p.m. (CST), Christos' Banquet Center, Plymouth. Register by Dec. 7 to Kelly Heckaman at 574-372-2340 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Counties: Elkhart, Kosciusko, Lake, LaPorte, Marshall, Porter, St. Joseph and Starke.
* Area 11: Jan. 7, 6:30 p.m., Eagles Nest, Columbia City. Register by Jan. 3 to Ed Farris at 260-358-4826 or email@example.com. Counties: Adams, Allen, DeKalb, Huntington, LaGrange, Noble, Steuben, Wells and Whitley.
IBCA elections will be held at meetings in areas 2, 8, 6 and 11. More information is available by contacting the IBCA at 317-293-2333 or http://www.indianabeef.org.