AgEcon Undergraduate Awards
The Department of Agricultural Economics’ undergraduates shined during this weeks’ College of Agriculture Undergraduate Awards Program. The program is hosted by Purdue’s Office of Academic Programs and Purdue’s Agricultural Council. Fourteen of the twenty-two Agricultural Council members call the Department of Agricultural Economics’ home, so numerous Agricultural Economics students were on stage giving student responses, introducing other speakers, and distributing certificates.
Several Agricultural Economics students were also recognized for their accomplishments:
- Laura Donaldson (Kentland, IN) received the 2013 Flora Roberts Award which recognizes the top senior female on the Purdue University campus. For a complete story of Laura’s award, visit Connections Now.
- Jackson Troxel (Hanna, IN) received the 2013 France A. Cordova Leadership Award. For a complete story of Jackson’s award, visit Connections Now.
- Erin Whittaker (West Lafayette, IN) received the 2013 Outstanding Junior in the College of Agriculture. Erin is a dual major with French and completing minors in Political Science and International Studies. She participated in the Washington D.C. Internship Program during Summer 2012 and completed a study abroad at Purpan University in France during Summer 2011. Erin is also working on an undergraduate research project, Grain Market Analysis and Pricing, with Dr. Corinne Alexander and Dr. Hurt. She also serves as Purdue Agriculture Council Secretary and is involved with Kappa Alpha Theta Sorority, Purdue Foundation Student Board, and College Mentor for Kid.
- Courtney Mann (Cloverdale, IN) received first place in the Townsend Writing Excellence Competition and will receive $2500. Courtney is a junior studying Agricultural Economics and is currently spending the semester interning in Member Services with the Indiana House of Representatives Republican Caucus.
- Five of the ten senior Agricultural Ambassadors recognized were students graduating from the Department of Agricultural Economics and included: Michael Baird (Scottsburg, IN), Laura Donaldson (Kentland, IN), Alisha Hedrick (Galveston, IN) Mia Lunik (Fishers, IN), and Seth Smoot (Eaton, IN).
- Four of the eleven graduating seniors recognized for completing the Leadership Development Certificate Program were students from the Department of Agricultural Economics and included: Michael Baird (Scottsburg,IN), Mia Lunik (Fishers, IN), Brooklynne Slabaugh (Leesburg, IN), and Jackson Troxel (Hanna, IN).
Gabe Rangel and Laura Donaldson were selected as the top graduating seniors at Purdue.
Jackson Troxel has been involved in so many organizations during his four years
at Purdue that it seems like there is more than one of him on campus.