Made an unforgettable college experience by getting involved and attending class regularly
Name: Courtney Gulick
Hometown: Lafayette, Indiana
High school: McCutcheon High School
Major & Concentration: Agribusiness Marketing with a minor in Organizational Leadership
Why did you come to Purdue: Purdue has always been my dream school growing up so close to the campus. The College of Ag is also one of the top tier schools in the world so it was an easy choice.
Favorite Purdue tradition: Singing and clapping to Hail Purdue
Top three influences at Purdue:
- Dr. Mark Hilton
- Purdue Football
Five words to describe Purdue:
Top five highlights of your career:
- Beating Ohio State in football while working for the team
- Going to a bowl game and winning (Foster Farms Bowl Game in 2017)
- Singing for my church while in PMO's gospel choir Heart & Soul
- Getting into the Disney College Program
- Receiving my diploma and graduating!!
Something you wish you would have done at Purdue: Go to the free ice cream social events the College of Ag puts on!
Places you have been as a Purdue student:
National FFA Convention
Through Purdue football I have had the opportunity to attend many stadiums and universities such as:
· Lake Tahoe in Reno, Nevada - University of Nevada
· San Francisco, California - Foster Farms Bowl Game vs. Arizona
· Nashville, Tennessee - Music City Bowl Game vs. Auburn
· New Brunswick, New Jersey - Rutgers University
· Minneapolis, Minnesota - University of Minnesota
· Lincoln, Nebraska - University of Nebraska
· University Park, Pennsylvania - Penn State University
· Columbia, Missouri - University of Missouri
· Madison, Wisconsin - University of Wisconsin
· Evanston, Illinois - Northwestern University
· Champaign, Illinois - University of Illinois
· East Lansing, Michigan - Michigan State University
· Bloomington, Indiana - Indiana University
· Iowa City, Iowa - University of Iowa
Have to redo college in a major not in Ag: Organizational Leadership
Favorite club/organization: Purdue Football
Favorite Student-led event/initiative: Purdue Disney Appreciation Club
Favorite Purdue event: Purdue Basketball games
Favorite place to study: By any of the fountains!
Over your career where were you most likely to be found on campus: Purdue football practice facility or KRAN 790 for TA office hours.
Favorite spot on campus: Elliott Hall of Music
Favorite thing about CoA: The networking and opportunities available compared to other colleges is not comparable.
Favorite thing about AGEC: The level of communication between advisors and students. Receiving letters in the mail congratulating you on your academic successes doesn't happen in other departments.
Favorite thing about your major: The variety of career paths you could go into with Agribusiness Marketing
Favorite class: AGEC 431: Advanced Agri-Sales and Marketing
Favorite professor: Dr. Scott Downey
Coolest project: AGEC 431 research project (highly recommend this class)
Three biggest accomplishments:
- Becoming a TA for Dr. Scott Downey's AGEC Selling and Sales class
- Receiving the Director's Commendation award from my choir director Rhonda Blacklock in PMO's gospel choir Heart & Soul
- Becoming a ball girl for the Purdue football team,
Things on your resume not listed above: I had an amazing internship with the Purdue Center for Food and Agribusiness as the Sales and Marketing Intern over the summer of 2019. I would recommend this internship to anyone trying to get some good networking and sales experience.
Three words to describe you:
What are you passionate for: I am passionate about the agriculture industry, as well as the sports industry. Throughout my life agriculture has been a huge part of my life raising pigs and sheep. It has helped me in more ways than most other things. I hope to somehow give back to this industry in any way that I can... maybe potentially working for an Ag company one day! Sports has also been a huge passion of mine. My dad used to run the team stores at both Mackey Arena and Ross-Ade Stadium. I grew up watching some of the all-time great athletes that came to Purdue. Being apart of the Purdue football team as an equipment manager has been such an amazing opportunity and I could also see myself joining this industry as well. Who knows... maybe I can find a career to help both industries!
What intrigues you about the Ag industry: I know that this world cannot live without agriculture. I have such a pride knowing the hard work it takes for farmers and other careers in the Ag industry. I think because of this I will always been intrigued by the industry and stand for it forever. 4-H and FFA has also helped me understand the importance of this industry.
What motivates you: I am motivated if I'm surrounded by others who are positive and encouraging.
Favorite quote: "Never let the fear of striking out, keep you from playing the game."
Personal Motto: Have a super sparkly day!
Accepted employment: Walt Disney World for a Sales Internship in Orlando Florida
Where do you want to end up: Either in the Ag or sports industry
Advice for underclassman: Go to class.... I had better grades when I never skipped a class.
Biggest takeaway from Purdue: Be involved in as many things as you can while in college. I was very fortunate to be involved in a number of things and not only did it help me maintain my grades, but it also made my college experience unforgettable. If you believe in yourself and put your mind to it, you can do anything you want to achieve!