Opportunity Around Every Corner
Name: Samantha Klemme
Hometown: Otterbein, Indiana
High school: Benton Central
Major & Concentration: Sales and Marketing with a minor in Farm Managment
Why did you come to Purdue: I was looking for a college that would support my professional growth in the agriculture field.
Favorite Purdue tradition: Although I have many favorite Purdue traditions, my favorite is riding on the Boilermaker Special. Every time I ride the Boilermaker Special it makes me feel like a proud Boilermaker!
Top three influences at Purdue:
- The top experience that has shaped my time at Purdue is being apart of Sigma Alpha Sorority. This has helped me build a network of friends and alumni.
- My favorite experience that built my knowledge was Issues 360. I was encouraged to dive deeper into the problems that are facing the agriculture industry.
- At graduation I will be receiving a certificate in entrepreneurship. This experience expanded the way I think about problem solving.
Five words to describe Purdue:
Top five highlights of your career:
- President of Sigma Alpha
- Agriculture Envoy
- Vice President of National Agri Marketing Association
- Director of Engagement and Innovation for Purdue Student Government
- Purdue Collegiate FFA officer
Something you wish you would have done at Purdue: NO REGRETS
Places you have been as a Purdue student:
- Purdue has taken me places that I could not even imagine
- I have been to seven different countries with a mission trip and study abroad
- I have also attended conferences in multiple states including Agriculture Futures of America and National Agri Marketing Association
- This past summer I had the opportunity to intern with John Deere that gave me the ability to travel to over half the United States.
Have to redo college in a major not in Ag: As an extrovert, I would choose Hospitality, Tourism and Management as a different major.
Favorite club/organization: Sigma Alpha a professional agriculture sorority for giving me over 100 different sisters during my time at Purdue.
Favorite Student-led event/initiative: My time on student government we where heavily involved in getting a Chick-Fil-A on campus.
Favorite Purdue event: I love attending Purdue mens basketball games. The atmosphere of Mackey gets me excited to call this campus my home.
Favorite place to study: I love studying in the Ag Administration Building, because you can reserve a room for groups and meetings. There is also always a friendly face. I may have done more talking than studying now that I think about it.
Over your career where were you most likely to be found on campus: At the OLD Den getting a pop before class. I have my own secret recipe. I mix 2/3 pink lemonade and 1/3 pomegranate vitamin water and it taste exactly like bubble gum.
Favorite spot on campus: I love sitting by the bell tower outside of WALC. When I look up at the tower it makes me a proud boilermaker.
Favorite thing about CoA: The college of ag is like a large family on campus. I can always count on running into a friend on my way to class.
Favorite thing about AGEC: My favorite part of being an AGEC student is my advisors are always there to support me. My advisors have supported me through being a Pathway to Purdue student to choosing a full time career.
Favorite thing about your major: I am able to see how agriculture businesses run then apply the knowledge in a sales and markting role.
Favorite class: AGEC 331 thought me how to become a better sales woman at my part time job at a John Deere dealer.
Favorite professor: Dr. Tim Baker is my favorite, because he would take time after class to give me advise on money management. The advise actually worked!
Three biggest accomplishments:
- President of Sigma Alpha where I was able to lead 20 different officer positions with 80 members
- Semi Finalist at National Agri-Marketing Competition that I was on the presentation team that was recognized nationally
- Working a part time job to graduate debt free
Things on your resume not listed above: I have attended three different mission trips with St. Tomas Church on campus. Jonestown, Mississippi; Pensacola, Florida; and Cuba
Three words to describe you:
What are you passionate for: I love to help anyone and everyone. The smallest act of kindness can truly make an impact on someone life.
What intrigues you about the Ag industry: There is a broad range of jobs that most people do not see from the outside.
What motivates you: I want to be a role model and mentor for younger generations in the agriculture field. I hope to be a leader who inspires others to live.
Favorite quote: Be someone who makes everybody feel like a somebody
Personal Motto: Impossible is just an opinion
Accepted employment: I will be working for Bane-Welker Equipment as a Retail Sales Development Specialist working with human resources and training across the thirteen Bane-Welker locations.
Where do you want to end up: I want to be a leader in the agriculture industry who is respected for leaving a lasting impact.
Advice for underclassman: Everyday is a new opportunity so stop at nothing to be successful.
Biggest takeaway from Purdue: The resources are out there to be successful in everything you do. The more you have to dig for the resources the greater the reward is when you have completed.