Questions of the Week
Note: Questions of the week are given at the end of labs 1, 3, 5, 6, 7, 9, 10, 12, 13, 14
- Question of the Week No. 1: Mitosis
- Answer: Colchicine arrests mitosis at the metaphase stage, because by inhibiting microtubule polymerization, chromosomes cannot move to opposite poles; therefore the anaphase stage won't be formed.
- Additional information: Colchicine is used to produce polyploidy; this is because without polymerization of microtubules replicated chromosomes at the metaphase stage cannot separate at anaphase and do not migrate to the opposite poles.
3' GAGCTG 5'
3' CAGCTC 5'
3. The reverse primer binds to the 3' end of the target sequence on the upper strand.
The forward primer binds to the 3' end of the target sequence on the lower strand.
Question of the Week No. 4: Cloning 1
- Answer: The answer will be posted on Friday, February 27.
- Question of the week No. 5: Cloning 2
- Answer: The answer will be posted on Friday, March 6.
- Question of the Week No. 7: Regulation of Gene Expression
- Question of the Week No. 8: Crossing Over
- Question of the Week No. 9: Complementation Test
- Question of the Week No. 10: SSLP Mapping