Order Custom Covers
Get your customers' and clients attention with customized covers of the 2021
Corn & Soybean Field Guide featuring your logos and information.
We will offer two printings of the guide:
Order by Friday, November 6, if you want your guides to start shipping in late December 2020.
Order by Friday, January 29, 2021, if you want your guides to ship in late March 2021.
To join our mailing list,
email Kevin Leigh Smith.
You will be able to order the 2021 Corn & Soybean Field Guide without custom covers from the Purdue Extension Education Store in January 2021. Single copies will cost $10 each, plus shipping. Boxes of 25 will cost $225, plus shipping (a 10 percent discount). You can preorer copies of the “standard” guide by emailing the Education Store.
What's the Cost?
The minimum order for custom covers is 100 copies. Larger orders receive discounts. Prices for the
100-299 guides: $10 each
300-749 guides: $9 each (10 percent discount)
750-1,499 guides: $8.50 each (15 percent discount)
1,500-2,499 guides: $8 each (20 percent discount)
2,500-3,999 guides: $7.50 each (25 percent discount)
4,000 or more: contact
Kevin Leigh Smith
Note: Orders may be subject to Indiana sales tax. The prices provided here are per cover design — groups that order multiple cover designs do not receive a cumulative discount. These prices include printer setup charges and basic shipping — orders that need to be shipped to multiple locations may be subject to actual shipping charges.
How Do I Order?
To order custom guides, please email
Kevin Leigh Smith with the following information:
- Your name and organization.
- Number of custom guides you want to order.
- If you want guides for the first or second printing.
- Your email address.
- Your telephone number.
- A shipping address (please provide an actual street address, we won't be able to deliver to post office boxes).
- A billing address (if different).
- A description of what you want on the cover (and please attach any graphics files you want to include — details about graphics files are provided below).
If you belong to a larger organization, pooling all of your orders together can reduce your costs, avoid unnecessary duplication, and ensure you receive guides. Please consult with the appropriate individuals in your organization to consolidate your orders.
What Is the Process?
Once you let us know what you want on the cover, you will receive a rough PDF to make sure the elements are where you want them.
After that, our graphic designer will finalize the design. We create several custom covers at once, so you will receive this final PDF proof some time after the ordering deadline (in early November for the first printing, in early February for the second printing).
After you receive this final proof, you will send us any corrections or changes. We will not print your cover until we receive your final approval.
What Can I Put on the Cover?
A PDF sample of the 2021 template is available here.
All versions of the guide feature a photo on the front cover with a live area for your logo and information. There will be a larger live area on the back cover for more information.
The live area on the front cover is 3.25 inches (233.9 pixels) wide x 0.78 inch (56.2 pixels) tall. On the sample, the live area is the white box on the front. The "Compliments of" line will appear on all covers. The semi-transparent white box on the front cover also must appear on all custom designs. The "safe" zone on the front cover is 2.9724 inches (211.2 pixels) wide by 0.7 inch (50.4 pixels) tall.
The live area on the back cover is 3.26 inches (234.5 pixels) wide x 4.28 inches (308.4 pixels) tall. On the sample, this space is all of the back cover except the Purdue Extension disclaimer, branding, and EEO statement on the bottom of the page. The "safe" zone on the back cover is 2.94 inches (211.7 pixels) wide by 4.13 inches (297.57 pixels) tall.
The back covers have a 0.25-inch bleed on the left side and top.
What Artwork Do I Need?
Please submit your logos and other artwork in vector format (EPS or AI) whenever possible. Other formats (TIF and JPG) are acceptable, but please send high-resolution images (at least 300 dpi at actual print size). Graphic files that have a lower resolution may look good on your computer screen, but will print poorly.
What Else Can I Put on the Cover?
- Colors — in the live area on the back cover you can specify any background color you like. For example, you can send us a specific PMS color, or we can match the background to one in your logo. If you do not specify a color, we will use white.
- Photos — because we print these covers using a four-color process, you can also use photos or any other art as long as they are of publication quality and fit in the live space.
- Text and other information — we can include any other information you want on the front or back covers (phone numbers, email addresses, website URLs, taglines, and so on). If you have a particular font you would like to use, please specify the font and send a sample of the text. The only limitation, of course, is space.
Shipping and Billing
It is possible to ship your guides to more than one location. For details, please
email Kevin Leigh Smith. Multiple shipping locations may be subject to shipping charges.
We also can issue separate billing statements, but Purdue University rules require a minimum billing statement for 100 copies — we cannot issue invoices for fewer than 100 copies.
Typically, Purdue issues invoices in January or February for the first printing and April or May for the second printing.
If you have any other questions about the guides or custom covers, please contact:
Kevin Leigh Smith