Forage Field Guide, third edition
For a short time, we are taking orders for custom covers of the Forage Field Guide.
The ordering deadline is Monday, February 26, 2018. The guides should ship in April. See below for details.
If you do not want custom covers, the third edition of the Purdue Extension Forage Field Guide is now available from the Purdue Extension Education Store.
The new edition of the guide
is fully revised. We’ve updated selection information, nutrient management,
pest management and more. We also added new and better photos throughout the
Order single copies of the guide online for $9 each.
Or, order boxes of 25 copies online for $202.50 (a 10 percent
You can order the guide by phone by calling 765-494-6794.
The information presented in the table on page 259 of the Forage Field Guide (third edition) contains an error. We have created a PDF of the corrected table you can use in your copy of the guide. We regret the error.
We are now taking orders for custom covers of the Forage Field Guide. The ordering deadline is Monday, February 26, 2018. Completed guides should begin to ship in April
To order, please contact Kevin Leigh Smith. Details (including costs, how to order, and artwork requirements) are provided below.
What's the Cost?
Custom covers do not cost any more than our standard covers, but there is a minimum order of 100 copies.
The prices for custom covers are
- 100-299 guides: $9 each
- 300-749 guides: $8.10each (10 percent discount)
- 750-1,499 guides: $7.65 each (15 percent discount)
- 1,500-2,499 guides: $7.20 each (20 percent discount)
- 2,500-3,999 guides: $6.75 each (25 percent discount)
- 4,000 or more: contact Kevin Leigh Smith
Note: Orders may be subject to Indiana sales tax. These
prices are per cover design —
groups that order multiple cover designs do not receive a cumulative discount. These
prices include printer setup charges and basic shipping — orders that need to
be shipped to multiple locations may be subject to actual shipping charges.
How Do I Order?
To order custom
covers, please email Kevin
Leigh Smith with the following information:
- Your name and organization.
- Number of custom guides you want to order.
- Your email address.
- Your telephone number.
- A shipping address (please provide an actual street address, we won't be able to deliver to post office boxes).
- A billing address (if different).
- A description of what you want on the cover (and please attach any graphics files you want to include — details about graphics files are provided below).
If you belong to a larger organization, pooling all of your orders together can reduce your costs, avoid unnecessary duplication, and ensure you receive guides. Please consult with the appropriate individuals in your organization to consoloidate your orders.
What Is the Process?
Once you let us
know what you want on the cover, you will receive a rough PDF to make sure the
elements are where you want them.
After that, our
graphic designer will finalize the design. We create several custom covers at
once, so you will receive this final PDF proof some time after the ordering
receive this final proof, you will send us any corrections or changes. We will
not print your cover until we receive your final approval.
What Can I Put on the Cover?
All versions of
the guide will feature a photo on the front cover with a live area for your
logo and information. There will be a larger live area on the back cover for
This is a PDF
sample of the Forage Field Guide
live area on the front cover is 3.25 inches (233.9 pixels) wide x 0.78 inch
(56.2 pixels) tall. On the sample, the live area is the white box on the front.
The “Compliments of” line will appear on all covers. The “safe” zone on the
front cover is 2.9724 inches (211.2 pixels) wide by 0.7 inch (50.4 pixels)
live area on the back cover is 3.26 inches (234.5 pixels) wide x 4.28 inches
(308.4 pixels) tall. On the sample, this space is all of the back cover except
the Purdue Extension disclaimer, branding, and EEO statement on the bottom of
the page. The “safe” zone on the back cover is 2.94 inches (211.7 pixels) wide
by 4.13 inches (297.57 pixels) tall. The back covers have a 0.25 inch bleed on
the left side and top.
What Artwork Do I Need?
your company logos and other artwork in vector format (EPS or AI) whenever
possible. Other formats (TIF and JPG) are acceptable, but please send
high-resolution images (at least 300 dpi at actual print size). Logo files that
have a lower resolution may look good on your computer screen, but will print
What Else Can I Put on the Cover?
- Colors — in the live area on the back cover you can specify any background color you like. For example, you can send us a specific PMS color, or we can match the background to one in your logo. If you do not specify a color, we will use white. You cannot change the color of the front live area.
- Photos — because we print these covers using a four-color process, you can also use photos or any other art as long as it is of publication quality and fits in the live space.
- Text and other information — we can include any other information you want on the front or back covers (phone numbers, email addresses, website URLs, taglines, and so on). If you have a particular font you would like to use, please specify the font and send a sample of the text. The only limitation, of course, is space.
Shipping and Billing
It is possible
to ship your guides to more than one location. For details, please contact
Kevin Smith — firstname.lastname@example.org or (765) 494-9558.
Multiple shipping locations may be subject to actual shipping charges.
We also can
issue separate billing statements, but Purdue University rules state that we
can't issue invoices for fewer than 100 copies.
If you have any
other questions about the guides or custom covers, please contact: