Crop Scouting Competition for Indiana Youth
2021 State Crop Scouting Competition
The Purdue University Crop Diagnostic Training & Research Center (DTC) is pleased to present the annual Crop Scouting Competition for Indiana Youth. Middle school and high school students (those completing grades 7-12) from Indiana are invited to compete and showcase crop scouting abilities related to corn, soybean, forages and cover crops. The competition will be a one day event focusing on outdoor learning.
The 2021 event will be an in-person competition held at an outdoor facility with field plots. Most activities will be outside and appropriate safety measures in compliance with the Protect Purdue Plan to prevent the spread of COVID-19 will be used. Directions on procedures and precautions will be sent to registered teams closer to the competition date. Due to the nature of this event, we can host a maximum of 8 teams in 2021.
- View the Flyer
- Event Date: Tuesday, August 10, 2021
- Team Registration: https://bit.ly/3cPcuaf
- Registration Deadline: May 3, 2021 (or when team limit capacity is reached)
- Location: Beck Agricultural Center; 4550 US 52, West Lafayette, IN
- Timing: Check-in begins at 9:30 AM. An explanation of rotations will start at 10:00 AM followed by the competition at 10:15 AM and ending by 4:15 PM.
- Meals: Lunch, beverages and snacks will be provided.
- Prizes: 1st place $500, 2nd place $300, 3rd place $150, 4th pace $50. Each participant will also receive a free event t-shirt. The top team from Indiana will be invited to attend the Regional Crop Scouting Competition on September 9th. The regional competition will be in a virtual format.
- Team Leaders: Each 4-5 person team is to be led and accompanied by an adult team leader. Teams should work with their leader to train on a regular basis before the competition. Past team leaders have been FFA or agriculture teachers, seed dealers, or coop employees. No more than 1 team per sponsoring organization (FFA, school, club, company).
- Purpose: To educate students on necessary skills that are key to integrated pest management and help them develop general agronomic skills useful in future careers related to agriculutural and environmental sciences. To provide students an opportunity to interact with Extension specialists and graduate students from different areas within agriculture.
- Participation Permission/Medical Release/Photography Forms: All participants must have permission forms completed and turned in prior to attending the event. These items will be sent to team leaders after registration.
- Study Materials: A package of study materials will be mailed to each team leader after registration. These study materials will consist of PU field guides and 1-2 other helpful items. There are a number of resources that can be used as Online Study Materials to help prepare students for the competition. One of these resources, a 14-part IPM curriculum covering a variety of topics, can be downloaded from the Iowa State University IPM Curriculum page. Each presentation is available in both PDF and PowerPoint formats and includes notes.
Previous sponsors include Indiana Corn Marketing Council, Indiana Soybean Alliance, Purdue Department of Agronomy, Purdue Department of Botany & Plant Pathology, and Purdue Extension.
2021 Regional Crop Scouting Competition
- Event Date: September 9, 2021
- This competition will be held in a virtual format. More information TBA.