Agronomy Lab Safety


​New semester, new students!
Can you find the red safety binder in your lab? Is it up-to-date? 
Have you reviewed current lab procedures and set-up PPE training for everyone in your lab?

What Training Do I Need?

What Training Do I Need?


All training must be completed before working in a lab or field!

Safety is everyone's responsibility so never hesitate to speak up 

when you see a problem area.​ 

Chemical Hygiene Plan Training - 2 Option choose ONLY 1.

1. Pi/Safety person gives training
  • That person will ask you to read the highlighted areas from the CHP manual, go over them you for clarification, model how to work with items in the lab, demonstrate the correct Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) to use and the location of it. Once that is completed, fill out the Appendix A of the CHP manual, which is the form entitled “Lab-Specific Training Certification Form”. This sheet is in the new employee packet or you can print another copy from the CHP manual (​

​2. Online training- covers everything in the CHP manual
  • Chemical Hy​giene Plan Training​ 
  • Register as a new user and complete the 3 parts of the Purdue University Lab Safety Fundamentals online training (you need your Purdue account to be activated). 
  • Once you have completed and passed, a certificate will be at the end of the training or emailed to you. Print it out and place in your lab’s safety binder.

​HazCom Training (Right to Know) - 2 Options choose ONLY 1.

1. Awareness HazCom Training    

  • ​only if you work in a "chemcal-free" environment (computer lab, office, etc.).                                                          
  • Takes about 15 minutes, done only once.                                                                                                                  
  • Print the certificate of completion and give it to Brandon Chafin. If you belong to a lab, you can place the certificate in the safety binder associated to it instead. 

2. Comprehensive HazCom Training                                                                                                                                     

  • Required when chemical use or exposure is a routine or significant part of the job and does not involve the                   "laboratory use of hazardous chemicals".                                                                                                                    
  • Takes about 45 minutes, needs to be take annually.  and you will have to complete it again. Upon completion, sign       
  • Print the certificate of completion and place in lab safety binder.

Worker Protection Standards

Before you work in the greenhouse or field, you must take the WPS training. See postings in the business office for the most current one or see Connie Foster in Lilly 2-452 to see when the next on is or to schedule a training.

If you are working with biological hazards, read the Biological Safety manual that can be found here:

Your supervisor can mark the areas that pertain to the lab you will be working in. Once that is completed, fill out the “Purdue Biological Safety Awareness Certification” sheet that is in the new employee packet. 

This sheet will then be placed in your safety binder​.                                                                                                                

Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) - 2 Options choose ONLY 1.

1. Lab-specific PPE training                                                                                                                                                     

  • The lab supervisor will identify for you if and what PPE are needed to work in a given lab.
  • Once you have been modeled what PPE you need, there will be a form in the safety binder for you to sign off on.
  • A copy of the PPE manual is available for reference in the lab safety binder or online (

2. Online PPE Training

  • Select the topic that your supervisor identified necessary. 
  • Take the test and print the certificate of completion to place in the lab safety binder.

RCR Training

Each PI is responsible for students in their lab to take this training. Note: the business office does not keep records for it.

For training, go to: https//​

If at any time you switch labs, start working with chemicals, start working in the greenhouse, etc. then you will need to take the correct training or move your certificates to the new lab. 

Additonal Training

Contact your supervisor to find out what additional training you need. Examples:

  • Roll Over Protection training
  • Audiograms
  • Respiratory training
  • Fork Truck training
  • Hazardous Material Shipping
  • Bloodborne Pathogen Exposure
  • Laser Safety
  • Tractor dangers

Accidents do happen!

Below are reported accidents from universities across the country.

What to do in case of an incident?

Purdue Agronomy's incident document​ has the answers.