21 Questions for Jeff Helfrich
1. What is your hometown? Evansville, IN
(Fun Fact: Evansville hosts the 3rd largest festival in the US - Fall Festival)
2. Where did you go to high school? Mater Dei High School
3. What is your major and concentration? Animal Sciences - Pre-Veterinary Medicine; minor in Biology
4. What is your expected graduation date? May 2017
5. Why did you choose Purdue for undergrad? Visited campus after junior year of high school for Boiler Vet Camp - toured Purdue, stayed on campus, met faculty and knew it was the best place to pursue veterinary medicine in Indiana.
6. What are your plans after graduation? Hope to attend vet school then work in a clinic with small or mixed animals or livestock. I would like to focus on dogs or horses, or perhaps enter the military and work with service animals or food security.
7. What is your 'spirit animal?' A dog - playful, happy, energetic, and like to have a good time.
8. What is your favorite organization joined at Purdue? Boiler Gold Rush - attended as a freshman, was a team leader as a sophomore, then a team supervisor as a junior. It is lots of fun to get new students excited about Purdue. Also participate in Campus Outreach and intramurals (Flag Football Champs Fall 2016).
9. What is your proudest achievement while at Purdue? Sticking with pre-veterinary medicine - knew from the start that i was a rigorous program and is very competitive to get into vet school, but proud to have overcome those hurdles and pushed through to the end.
10. What was your favorite class taken at Purdue? BIOL 221: Intro to Microbiology with Dr. Thomas Walter - great course that is tailored to pre-professional students.
11. What is your favorite Purdue tradition? Fountain runs
12. What is the best thing about the College of Ag? It's a very diverse place, but everyone is united in common goals of food security and sustainability.
13. What is the best thing about the Department of Animal Sciences? Multiple concentrations offered yet all working toward the same goal
14. What is the best on-campus study spot? Hicks Library
15. What is your favorite place in town? Happy Hollow Park
16. What is the most important thing you've learned outside of the classroom? There is great happiness to be found in being generous, serving others, and keeping a mentality that life is about so much more than yourself.
17. Where did you study abroad and what did you do? Spring 2016: studied animal growth, animal production (sheep, wool, and the working dog), and meat production in New Zealand, and for fun tasted the world's most tender beef, visited several iconic landmarks from the Lord of the Rings movie series, and ventured to Australia to scuba dive in the Great Barrier Reef - truly a life-changing experience!
18. What internships and/or research experiences have you had?
: analyzing blood glucose of laying hens during various stages as well as whether brown vs. white eggs have any implications on the hen with Dr.'s Darrin
Summer 2015: worked with vet, zoo keeper, and animal nutritionist at Mesker park Zoo in Evansville, IN (species included large hoof stock: Indian Rhino, giraffe, zebra, and sitatunga; clouded leopard and red panda)
Fall 2014-Spring 2015
: analyzed protein in forages for beef and heifer nutritional management with Dr. Ron Lemenager
: veterinary assistant at North Dallas Veterinary Hospital in Dallas, TX
19. What is your favorite quote? "Faith is the confidence that what we hope for will actually happen; it gives us assurance about the things we cannot see." - Hebrews 11:1
20. What are your hobbies? Scouting activities (an Eagle Scout), exercising/weight lifting, cooking and baking, and
outdoor activities including: kayaking, fishing, bike riding, hiking, horseback riding, and rock climbing.
21. What advice would you give to incoming students? Get involved in 1-2 clubs and really engrain yourself in them to allow yourself to grow with that community of people. Don't be afraid to be yourself and bring your own attributes to what you are involved in - hold yourself to high standards and be confident in who you are.