21 Questions for Suzie McKaig
1. What is your hometown? Logansport, IN (Fun Fact: Logansport has one of only three remaining carousels with animals carved by Gustav Dentzel, which is a National Historic Landmark)
2. Where did you go to high school? Primarily homeschooled, but took classes at Pioneer High School as well as studied at the Wesley School in Indonesia during junior year.
3. What is your major/concentration? Double major with Animal Sciences - Production and Agricultural Education
4. What is your expected graduation date? May 2020
5. Why did you choose Purdue for undergrad? Purdue is close to home, houses on of the top Agriculture schools in the world, and I have several Boilermakers in the family.
6. What are your plans after graduation? To own and run a farm/ranch where kids from inner cities can come to learn about crop and animal farming as well as learn life skills like gardening and cooking combined with ministry to create a place of healing.
7. What is your 'spirit animal?' Wolf
8. What is your favorite organization joined at Purdue? Dairy Club and College Mentors for Kids
9. What is your proudest achievement while at Purdue? Being accepted as a mentor in College Mentors for kids
10. What was your favorite class taken at Purdue? AGEC 217 - Economics with Dr. Wetzstein
11. What is your favorite Purdue tradition? Fountain runs
12. What is the best thing about the College of Ag? The faculty and staff really care about their students and want to get to know them and help them in any way they can.
13. What is the best thing about the Department of Animal Sciences? Same as above. The department was extremely supportive and helpful when my family faced difficulties this summer.
14. What is the best on-campus study spot? My dorm room
15. What is your favorite place in town? The elementary school where College Mentors for Kids buddy attends
16. What is the most important thing you've learned outside of the classroom? Always tell the truth
17. Where did you study abroad and where do you hope to travel? Indonesia for 10 months during junior year of high school. I hope to spend Fall semester 2018 in Ireland, and a maymester in Jamaica.
18. What internships have you had? I haven't had any yet, but I've been helping out on the family dairy farm since 2007 where tasks have included mixing feed, performing artificial insemination, operating a skid loader, raking hay, and helping with milking cows. I currently work as a lifeguard at the CoRec.
19. What is your favorite quote? "Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile." - Albert Einstein. "People generally see what they look for and hear what they listen for." - Harper Lee. "Nice is different than good." - Stephen Sondheim, Into the Woods
20. What are your hobbies? Reading, playing piano, working with dairy cows, working with kids, cooking, swimming, singing, participating in plays and musicals.
21. What advice would you give to incoming students? Meet with your advisor within the first month of being at school because getting to know each other and building a relationship with them will help with planning for the future. Also, talk to Barry Delks, the Animal Sciences Career Services Coordinator, he loves his job and helping students succeed.