21 Questions for Rachel Stoner
1. What is your hometown? Valparaiso, IN
Fun Fact: Orville Redenbacher's 1st popcorn farm was in Valpo
2. Where did you go to high school? Morgan Township High School
3. What is your major/concentration? Animal Sciences - Production dual major with Agricultural Education and a minor in Crop Science
4. What is your expected graduation date? May 2020
5. Why did you choose Purdue for undergrad? Purdue was never not an option - it's in Indiana, close to home, and has a world-renowned College of Agriculture.
6. What are your plans after graduation? I want to teach agriculture in high school and own a cow-calf operation.
7. What is your ‘spirit animal?' An elephant because they remember friends and I really value relationships with people.
8. What is your favorite organization joined at Purdue? Ag Ambassadors
9. What is your proudest achievement while at Purdue? Being chosen to serve as an Ag Ambassador
10. What has been your favorite class taken at Purdue? ANSC 22100 - Animal Nutrition (online) with Dr. Forsyth
11. What is your favorite Purdue tradition? Den pops
12. What is the best thing about College of Ag? Everyone has a passion for agriculture. It's neat to be surrounded by people who care about you and care about agriculture.
13. What is the best thing about Department of Animal Sciences? The faculty and staff that really care about you, especially Barry Delks.
14. What is the best on-campus study spot? AGAD 128
15. What is your favorite place in town? Taco Tuesday at La Hacienda
16. What is the most important thing you’ve learned outside of the classroom? Your GPA and accomplishments don't matter as much in the long run; it's more about the people you love and the relationships you form along the way.
17. Where do you hope to study abroad? I would love to go on the YDAE Haiti service-learning trip with Dr. Russell.
18. What internships/research experiences have you had?
- Summer 2018: Retail sailes intern in the animal nutrition division with Cargill
19. What is your favorite quote? "If the world is cold make it your business to build fires." - Horace Traubel
20. What are your hobbies? Gardening (flowers, herbs, vegetables), knitting, and running
21. What advice would you give to incoming students? You will never regret a good workout, eating healthy, hanging out with friends, waking up early, or stepping outside of your comfort zone, so just do it - even if it's the last thing you want to do.