National Institute of Food
and Agriculture (NIFA) Mission
Invest in and advance
agricultural research, education, and extension to solve societal challenges.
discoveries, education, and engagement to address agricultural challenges.
Our goals include advancement and
application of science and technological tools in order to:
- Achieve global food security and fight hunger
- Mitigate climate change impacts on agricultural, forest, and rangeland systems
- Improve and increase the production of goods and services from working lands while protecting the nation’s natural resource base and environment
- Contribute to the nation’s energy independence through sustainable production of bioenergy and bio‐based industrial products
- Combat childhood obesity by ensuring the availability of affordable, nutritious, and safe food and providing individuals and families science‐based nutritional guidance
- Ensure the development of human capital, communities, and a diverse workforce
More Information About USDA NIFA
Learn how NIFA funded its programs.
The National Science
Foundation (NSF) Statutory Mission
the progress of science; to advance the national health, prosperity and
welfare; and to secure the national defense and for other purposes. From The
National Science Foundation Act of 1950 (P.I.81-507).
envisions a nation that capitalizes on new concepts in science and engineering
and provides global leadership in advancing research and education. From “Empowering the Nation through discovery
and innovation, NSF Strategic Plan for Fiscal Years 2011-2016.
- Strategic Goal 1: Transform the Frontiers of Science and Engineering
- Strategic Goal 2: Stimulate Innovation and Address Societal Needs through Research and Education
- Strategic Goal 3: Excel as a Federal Science Agency
More Information About NSF
Learn how NSF funded programs by State and organization in 2015.
National Institutes of
Health (NIH) Mission and Goals
NIH’s mission is to seek fundamental
knowledge about the nature and behavior of living systems and the application
of that knowledge to enhance health, lengthen life, and reduce illness and
More Information About NIH
foster fundamental creative discoveries, innovative research strategies,
and their applications as a basis for ultimately protecting and improving
develop, maintain, and renew scientific human and physical resources that
will ensure the Nation's capability to prevent disease;
expand the knowledge base in medical and associated sciences in order to
enhance the Nation's economic well-being and ensure a continued high
return on the public investment in research; and
exemplify and promote the highest level of scientific integrity, public
accountability, and social responsibility in the conduct of science.
Search for funding success rates at
The link below is NIH’s ‘"Matchmaker" tool. You can copy and paste a brief abstract or keywords and the Matchmaker tool will provide a list of funded grants that are similar to your description. You can use this to help identify the right NIH institute and study section.
The link below is a tool that can help you identify the study sections that are the most appropriate to review your grant proposal. You can copy and past your title, abstract, or specific aims page to help match your project description to the right panel for review.