Indiana Sheep & Wool Council - Fall Meeting 

Date: Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Time: Noon – 1:30 pm (Eastern Time)

Location: Kentucky Exposition Center – Food Court

937 Phillips Lane

Louisville, KY  40209



         Contact: Jerry Fankhauser (Phone – 765-494-8368; Email: )


How much is the assessment (check-off) for sheep and wool?

Answer: All sheep and wool purchased by a handler shall be assessed one-half of one percent of the net market price (e.g. $0.005 x net price) of all sheep and/or lambs and wool sold in Indiana.

When does the assessment begin?

Answer: The sheep and wool program officially began July 1, 2013, but the need to assess all lambs, sheep, and wool sold in Indiana should commence on December 1, 2013.


Who is a handler?

Answer: A "handler" is defined in Indiana Code 15-15-11-6 as a person (or entity) who engages in the selling, marketing, or distribution of sheep or wool that is purchased for resale or marketed on behalf of a sheep producer.


Who deducts the check-off fee?

Answer: The handler or purchaser deducts the one-half of one percent (0.5%) of net market price from the purchase at the time of the sale. This assessment is then sent monthly to Purdue University – College of Agriculture where it is deposited in a dedicated sheep and wool fund.


Can a sheep and/or wool producer get his/her check-off funds back?

Answer: Yes – refund forms can be obtained by contacting the Office of Agricultural Research at Purdue University. Contact information can be found below. Refund requests must be sent within 180 days of the sale of sheep or wool and include proof of the sale.


Who spends these state check-off funds and what on?

Answer: A sheep and wool market development council makes recommendations to the director of agricultural research at Purdue University on spending. Funds can be spent in the areas of sheep and wool research, education, market development, and promotion. The council is made up of sheep and wool producers who are elected to represent the nine county-based districts in the state.


Who do I contact for questions or to get forms?

Answer: Contact the Office of Agricultural Research at Purdue University (below).


Indiana Sheep & Wool Market Development Program

Purdue University

Sheep & Wool Market Development Program
Office of Agricultural Research – College of Agriculture
615 West State Street
West Lafayette, IN 47907-2053

Phone: 765-494-8368