The annual update of the Midwest Vegetable Production Guide has been sent to the printer and will be ready in plenty of time for distribution at winter meetings. In addition to the purchase of a hard copy of the Guide for $10, the Guide is available free on-line at mwveguide.org. The on-line version is updated whenever changes are made throughout the year.
Every year, the ID-56, as the Guide is known in Indiana, has recommendations for fertility, varieties and pest control for crops from asparagus to zucchini. You may have a Guide from a previous year, but I urge you to purchase or download a new one since the guide changes every year. Below, I have listed a taste of the larger changes that are listed in the Guide for 2014.
• The watermelon variety resistance to Fusarium wilt table has been updated with new varieties — see Cucurbit Crops chapter.
• A new table (pollenizer watermelon resistance to anthracnose) was added to the Cucurbit Crops chapter.
• Luna Privilege® has been labeled for several diseases of watermelon — see Cucurbit Crops chapter.
• Prowl H2O® is now labeled for use between rows of melons (see the Cucurbit Crops chapter) and green onions (see the Dry Bulb and Green Bunching Onion, Garlic, and Leek chapter).
• Dual Magnum® was added for several crops.
• Anthem® and Anthem ATZ® are now labeled for preemergence and postemergence weed control in sweet corn. Both herbicides provide preemergence control of many grass and broadleaf weeds and postemergence control of many broadleaves. Anthem®
is a mixture of pyroxasulfone (Zidua®) and fluthiacet (Cadet®). Anthem ATZ® is a mixture of atrazine,
pyroxasulfone (Zidua®), and fluthiacet (Cadet®). These herbicides have an 18-month replant restriction for all other crops except corn.
• Closer® was added to the recommendations for control of aphids, whiteflies, and plant bugs on several crop groups.
• Blackhawk® was added to the recommendations for control of caterpillars and Colorado potato beetles on several crop groups.
• The threat from the invasive brown marmorated stink bug was specifically addressed for several crop groups.
For your copy of the Guide, go to one of the winter meetings in 2014, ask your County Educator or point your browser to mwveguide.org. For more information, call Dan Egel and (812) 8860198 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.