The Kriebel Herbarium (PUL)
This specimen of Woodland Poppymallow (Callirhoe papaver
Gray.) was collected in 1890, in Texas.
The vascular plant collection at Purdue University is the oldest in the state of Indiana and has been in existence since the very inception of the university. As Purdue opened its doors for the first time in 1874, only six professors had been hired to teach. One was John Hussey (1831–1888), a botany professor. He brought his personal plant collection as a teaching aid for his students, and Hussey's specimens are still in the Kriebel Herbarium to this day. The Herbarium itself is named in honor of Ralph M. Kriebel (1897–1946), a botanist who joined Purdue in 1943 and whose collection, in excess of 10,000 specimens of important Indiana flora, once formed a separate herbarium housed by the Department of Botany and Plant Pathology.
The collection was originally called the The Stanley Coulter Herbarium. "This honor is rightfully due a man who for long years strove ably to preserve the Purdue collections and because he and his students have made so many additions to the collection, but chiefly because through the inspiration of his teaching and his research he has increased so notably the interest of the citizens in the flora of their state" (from Porter and Porter's 1931 "The Stanley Coulter Herbarium at Purdue University").
These collections, formerly housed in the Department of Biological Sciences, and the Herbarium of the Purdue Agricultural Experiment Station were both combined with Kriebel's collection to create the The Kriebel Herbarium. This consolidated collection is still managed by the Department of Botany and Plant Pathology and comprises approximately 90,000 specimens, including vascular plants, algae, bryophytes and fungi.