National Chung-Hsing University, Taiwan, B.S. in Soil Science
Washington State University, M.S. in Soil Science
Purdue University, Ph.D. Agronomy (Soil Science)
2004 – present
Research Leader, USDA-ARS National Soil Erosion Research Lab, W. Lafayette, IN
1998 – present
Soil Scientist, USDA-ARS National Soil Erosion Research Lab, W. Lafayette, IN
1998 – present
Adjunct Professor, Agronomy Department, Purdue Univ., W. Lafayette, IN
1988 – 1998
Research Scientist, Agronomy Department, Purdue Univ., W. Lafayette, IN
1984 – 1987
Research Scientist, Division of Environmental Mechanics, CSIRO, Australia.
1982 – 1984
Research Associate, Hydrology and Water Resources Department, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ.
Professional Activities and Development
- Soil Science Society of America: International Soil Science Award Committee (S479), 1996-97; Associate Editor, 2001-2003.
- Association of Chinese Soil & Plant Scientists in North America: Vice President 1993, President 1994-95, Board of Directors, 1996-2000.
- National Association of Conservation Districts (NACD), Great Lakes Committee, ARS Agency appointed Technical Advisor, 2001-2010
- Co-Editor, with John Laflen and Junliang Tian, “Soil Erosion and Dryland Farming”, a 720-page book published by CRC Press and Soil and Water Conservation Society, 2000.
- Co-Topical Editor (With Dennis Flanagan) for Soil Erosion, Enclyclopedia of Soil Science, Published by Marcel Dekker, 2002.
- Served 60-day detail as Acting National Program Leader – Soil Erosion at USDA-ARS National Program Staff, Beltsville, 2003.
- Served as a member of the Scientific Advisory Committee for International Soil Management Conference, delivered a keynote speech and chaired sessions (Turkey, May 2006).
- Served as Co-Chair of the International Conference for Soil Erosion and Dryland Farming at Yangling, China (October 2006),
- Served as a member of the Scientific Advisory Committee for International Gully Erosion Conference, organized and chaired sessions (Spain, Sept 2007). Currently is the Co-Chair for the 2016 International Gully Erosion Conference to be held at W. Lafayette, IN.
- Served as a member of the Scientific Advisory Committee for Agro-Environment (2008, Turkey; 2010, Mexico; and 2014, Brazil, 2016 USA, 2018 China, 2021 Mexico). Invited as a keynote speaker at the 2014 and 2018 meeting.
- Served 60-day detail as Acting Associate Area Director, USDA-ARS Mid South Area at Stoneville, MS, 2011
- Served 60-day detail at USDA-ARS Office for National Programs at Beltsville, MD, 2012.
- Served 120-day detail as Acting Associate Area Director, USDA-ARS Midwest Area at Peoria, IL, 2018.
- Served 120-day detail as Acting Associate Area Director, USDA-ARS Midwest Area at Peoria, IL, 2019.
- Currently, serving as the US coordinator for the Sino-US Joint Centers for Soil Erosion and Environmental Protection between USDA and Chinese Ministry of Science and Technology.
Selected Journal Publications
- Nouwakpo, K., C. Huang, P. Owens and L. Bowling. 2010. Impact of vertical hydraulic gradient on rill erodibility and critical shear stress. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 74:1914-1921.
- De-Campos, A.B., C. Huang, and C.T. Johnston. 2012. Biogeochemistry of terrestrial soils as influenced by short-term flooding. Biogeochemistry. 111:239-252.
- Nouwakpo, S.K., and C. Huang. 2012. A simplified close range photogrammetric technique for soil erosion assessment. Soil Science Soc. Am. J. 76:70-84.
- Nouwakpo, S.K., and C. Huang. 2012.The role of subsurface hydrology in soil erosion and channel network development on a laboratory hillslope. Soil Science Soc. Am. J. 76(4):1197-1211.
- Nouwakpo, S.K., C. Huang, M.A. Weltz, F. Pimenta, I. Chagas, and L. Lima. 2014. Using fluidized bed and flume experiments to quantify cohesion development from aging and drainage. Earth Surface Processes and Landforms, 39(6):749-757.
- Zhao, L., C. Huang, and F. Wu. 2015. Effect of microrelief on water erosion and their changes during rainfall. Earth Surface Processes and Landforms 41:579-586.
- Mamedov, A.I, C. Huang, E.A. Alievm, and G.J. Levy. 2016. Aggregate stability and water retention near saturation characteristics as affected by soil texture, aggregate size and polyacrylamide application. Land Degradation and Development. 28(2):543-552. https://doi.org/10.1002/ldr.2509.
- Selen, D.S., C. Huang, D.C. Flanagan, and G. Erpul. 2017. Functional relationships for soil erodibility factors of two different soil erosion prediction models (USLE/RUSLE/and WEPP). Journal of Hydraulic Research. 56(2):181-195.
- Ding, W., and C. Huang. 2017. Effects of soil surface roughness on interrill erosion processes and sediment particle size distribution. Geomorphology. 295:801-810.
- Wei, X., C. Huang, N. Wei, H. Zhao, and T. Wang. 2018. Reducing soil loss using surface application of stem juices. Land Degradation and Development. 29:1705-1713.
- Botero-Acosta, A., M.L. Chu, and C. Huang. 2019. Impacts of environmental stressors on nonpoint source pollution in intensively managed hydrologic systems. Journal of Hydrology. 579:124056. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhydrol.2019.124056.
- Scott, Isis S.P.C., C. Huang, and L.C. Bowling. 2020. The use of electrical conductivity to develop temporally precise breakthrough curves in tracer injection experiments. Journal of Hydrology. 588:124998. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jhydrol.2020.124998.
- Weltz, M.A., C. Huang, B.A. Newingham, J. Tatarko, S.K. Nouwakpo, and T. Tsegaye. 2020. A strategic plan for future USDA Agricultural Research Service erosion research and model development. Journal of Soil Water Conservation. 75(6):137A-143A.
- Nouwakpo, S.K, C. Huang, L.C. Bowling, P. Owens, and M.A. Weltz. 2021 Inferring sediment transport capacity from soil microtopography changes on a laboratory hillslope. Water. 13(7):929. https://doi.org/10.3390/w13070929.