Aquatic Animal Researcher
The Aquatic Animal Research will coordinate and manage day to day operations including safe and effective use of the Environmental Entomology Lab (EEL) research laboratory in the Department of Forestry and Natural Resources. In this role, you will maintain and help coordinate use of labs and lab equipment, manage lab safety and equipment training, help curate data and samples and assist with experiments with aquatic organisms.
What You'll Be Doing:
- Conduct acute and chronic toxicity tests with biota, including helping design experiments; run experiments; collect data; analyze and summarize data; and assist in publishing the results in peer-reviewed literature
- Coordinate personnel activity, manage projects, assist with and conduct specific research projects
- Organizational and administrative duties as assigned
- Train and oversee students and visiting scientists in proper and safe methods, techniques and procedures for use of specific research equipment
- Safety training and compliance with relevant safety regulations for the laboratories and relevant animal use regulations for departmental animal care facilities including compliance with all relevant federal, state and university policies and regulations
What We're Looking For:
- Bachelor’s degree in animal sciences, biology, ecology, fisheries, ecotoxicology, toxicology, biochemistry, molecular biology or related field
- 1 year of general laboratory experience
- Strong organizational and communication skills
- Skills with equipment and protocols used in laboratory aquatic animal models, molecular analyses
- Ability to diagnose/troubleshoot equipment failures
- Knowledge of purchasing procedures
- Knowledge of relevant safety procedures
- Computer skills (e.g., MS Office, R and other statistical analyses, etc.)
Nice to Have:
- Master’s degree in animal sciences, biology, ecology, fisheries, ecotoxicology, toxicology, biochemistry, molecular biology or related field
- Immersive research experience
- Experience with supervision of technical personnel is desirable as is experienced with basic computational platforms (e.g., Mac, PC).
What We'd Like You to Know:
- This position is grant funded through 1/2027. Continuation will be dependent upon additional funding. Benefits do apply.
- Learn more about Purdue’s benefits summary
- Purdue will not sponsor employment authorization for this position
- A Background Check is required for employment in this position
- FLSA: Exempt (Not Eligible For Overtime)
- Retirement Eligibility: Defined Contributions Waiting Period
- Purdue University is an EOE/AA employer. All individuals, including minorities, women, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply
What You'll Get in Return:
All university employees are afforded a generous benefits package including medical/dental/vision insurance, paid time off, and retirement contributions. As part of Purdue University’s expansive employee benefit package, the University is proud to offer its employees the opportunity to grow, learn, and advance by offering a tuition remission opportunity at both Purdue University and Purdue Global.
Take Your Next Giant Leap
We never stop, we keep going, because Discovery is in our DNA, and we want you to discover a Career at Purdue University! Come work alongside a family of diverse culture with faculty, students, and staff who come together to become one, Boilermakers! Our greatest adventures are yet to come, and we want to include you.
Come take your Next Giant Leap and Discover your next career!
*Effective August 1, Purdue implemented a new background screen policy: any internal transfer will receive a new background screen if one has not been run within the last year.
For more details and how to apply: Purdue University, Careers - Aquatic Animal Researcher