The Purdue Aquaculture Research Lab (ARL) is seeking a Research Associate and Hellbender Husbandry Coordinator. In this role, you will design and construct research projects on laboratory-reared animals, analyze data and participate in writing peer-reviewed publications as well as deliver extension presentations, host animal husbandry workshops, and conduct facility tours.You will be responsible for assisting with the weekly lab meeting to discuss progress of research, peer review papers, and write and review grants, conduct extension activities and work with external partners for training, research, and planning.
This position provides daily husbandry duties and care of an aquatic salamander. You will assist with routine ARL maintenance (e.g., cleaning systems, plumbing, construction) and administrative duties including the purchase and inventory of necessary ARL supplies and equipment.
What You'll Be Doing:
- Daily husbandry duties for Hellbenders and fish, cleaning tanks for Hellbenders and fish, feeding Hellbenders and fish, provide veterinary care as instructed by a veterinarian when needed
- Conduct weekly water quality tests
- Act as a first responder for power outages/alarms and notify appropriate parties of the issues
- Assist with the onboarding of all post-doctoral researchers, graduate students, and undergraduate researchers using the facility
- Supervise daily activities of technicians and graduate students
- Provide assistance and supervision with research and data collection, as necessary, for technicians, staff, and other researchers
- Attend all meetings relevant to the operation and use of ARL
- Assist professors and teaching assistants with course instruction, as needed
What We're Looking For:
- Master’s degree
- 1 year of experience working with and researching aquatic systems and amphibians
- In lieu of degree, consideration will be given to an equivalent combination of related education and required experience (Bachelor's degree + 3 years of experience)
- Skills in aquaculture, plumbing, husbandry, animal caretaking, public speaking, technical writing
What We'd Like You to Know:
- This position is grant funded through June of 2027. Continuation will be dependent upon additional funding.
- Learn more about Purdue’s benefits
- Purdue will not sponsor employment authorization for this position
- A Background Check is required for employment in this position
- FLSA: Exempt (Not Eligible For Overtime)
- Retirement Eligibility: Defined Contributions Waiting Period
- Purdue University is an EOE/AA employer. All individuals, including minorities, women, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply
What You'll Get in Return:
All university employees are afforded a generous benefits package, https://www.purdue.edu/hr/benewell/index.php, including medical/dental/vision insurance, paid time off, and retirement contributions. As part of Purdue University’s expansive employee benefit package, the University is proud to offer its employees the opportunity to grow, learn, and advance by offering a tuition remission opportunity at both Purdue University and Purdue Global.
Take Your Next Giant Leap
We never stop, we keep going, because Discovery is in our DNA, and we want you to discover a Career at Purdue University! Come work alongside a family of diverse culture with faculty, students, and staff who come together to become one, Boilermakers! Our greatest adventures are yet to come, and we want to include you.
Come take your Next Giant Leap and Discover your next career!
Purdue University is an EOE/AA employer. All individuals, including minorities, women, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply.