Research Associate - Institute of Digital Forestry
The Research Associate, with the Institute of Digital Forestry, primarily focuses on the outreach activities for the establishment of two online databases. The main purposes of this position are to (1) create a directory of living genetic trials across the eastern US (50%) and (2) establish an online database for synthesizing forest invasive pest survey data in the eastern US (50%). In this role, you will be responsible for reaching out to various agencies in each state (e.g., state office, land grant university, and NRS office etc.) to request a list of related information.
For the genetic trials project, you will gather information on all surviving genetics plantings including seed orchards, provenance trials or progeny tests that have pedigreed information (at least the mother tree or genotype of each tree must be known). Specific tasks include but are not limited to (a) update status of trials listed in 1981 publication; (b) append this list with studies established since 1981; (c) create a digital tag between plantings, former/current managers, and location of paper files; (d) use satellite data to verity and geotag the presence/absence of plantations. For the invasive project, you will conduct outreach activities to streamline the data gathering, timely updating, and automated reporting of forest invasive pests and their impacts.
What We're Looking For:
- Master degree in Forestry, Horticulture, Agriculture, Environmental Science, or other natural resources related fields
- Experience in Microsoft Word and Excel
- Excellent interpersonal skills and professionalism in dealing with students, faculty, staff, and research cooperators
- Good organizational and time management skills with emphasis on accuracy and attention to detail
- Capable of taking initiative, assuming responsibility, and handling confidential information with discretion
- Ability to work both independently
Nice to Have:
- Experience with Access database and GIS
What We'd Like You to Know:
- Learn more about Purdue’s benefits.
- Purdue will not sponsor employment authorization for this position
- A Background Check is required for employment in this position
- FLSA: Exempt (Not Eligible For Overtime)
- Retirement Eligibility: Defined Contributions Waiting Period
- Purdue University is an EOE/AA employer. All individuals, including minorities, women, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply
What You'll Get in Return:
All university employees are afforded a generous benefits package, including medical/dental/vision insurance, paid time off, and retirement contributions. As part of Purdue University’s expansive employee benefit package, the University is proud to offer its employees the opportunity to grow, learn, and advance by offering a tuition remission opportunity at both Purdue University and Purdue Global.
Take Your Next Giant Leap
We never stop, we keep going, because Discovery is in our DNA, and we want you to discover a Career at Purdue University! Come work alongside a family of diverse culture with faculty, students, and staff who come together to become one, Boilermakers! Our greatest adventures are yet to come, and we want to include you.
Come take your Next Giant Leap and Discover your next career!
For Purdue Career post and how to apply view: Research Associate - Institute for Digital Forestry.
Purdue University is an EOE/AA employer. All individuals, including minorities, women, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply.