A Spreadsheet Toolbox
Spreadsheets come an many sizes and shapes and are a computational tool used for an unbelievable number of quantitative decisions. We presume farms and agribusinesses use them extensively whether the user does the programming or just uses pre-set configurations of tools.
We have compiled a list of more than 30 spreadsheets created at Purdue University on topics of field crops, fertilizer recommendations, economics, data management, animal agriculture, and more.
While the list is below, we have also put together a spreadsheet toolbox (well just a spreadsheet listing spreadsheets if you can imagine that) that you can access through Google and search by category and topic. This list will grow over time so be sure to check back often.
- Machine Capacity: estimate machine capacity (ac/h) needed to cover a target land area in given time window, then also compute capacity from implement descriptors
- Phosphorus Cost Comparison: estimate machine capacity (ac/h) needed to cover a target land area in given time window, then also compute capacity from implement descriptors
- Benchmarking Tractor Costs: tally costs of alternative tractor sizes & designs to enable benchmarking for lease, buy, rent decisions
- Hay Storage Evaluator: compare in-barn, covered with tarp, or outside uncovered hay storage options (dated style)
- Cycle Analysis: evaluation of cycle analysis of machinery interactions such as during harvest (harvest, transport, unload)
- Tractor Ballasting: computes weight distribution for optimizing tractor performance
- Manure Balance Tool: for a hobby or small farm, compute the nutrient balance from livestock & crop
- Manure Records: app-like spreadsheet for generating manure spreading records
- Transfer and Inventory Googlesheet: app-like spreadsheet for improving transfer and inventory records
- Field Metadata Tool: app-like spreadsheet for digital field records
- Planting Records and Seed Inventory: app-like spreadsheet for planting records that also updates seed inventories
- Fertilizer Records & Inventory: app-like spreadsheet for fertilizer records that also updates inventories
- Animal Vaccine and Meds Records: app-like spreadsheet for livestock treatments - includes recommended dosage based on estimated weight
- Generic Records Generator: app-like spreadsheet for logging and tallying events, activities, etc.
- Purdue Crop Planner: by-field planning with tallies for cropping inputs across the farm; enables comparison of different strategies
- Silo Capacity: capacity and inventory in tower and bunker silos
- Fertilizer Tools: fall 2020 Tri State Fert recommendations in a spreadsheet
- Compost Evaluator Grain Inventory: doesn't optimize, but analyzes key ratios with compost "recipes" so users can have success
- Grain Inventory : estimates grain inventory in bins
- Fungicide Treatment: examines whether it is beneficial to apply fungicide to corn
- Cover Crop: examine whether it is beneficial to use a cover crop
- Crop Budget: examine gross revenue, costs, and earning for crop enterprises.
- Long-run Cash Rent: examines crop breakeven prices, earning per acre, breakeven cash rents, and trends in working capital.
- Farm Financial Performance: Computes accrual net farm income and key financial ratios.
- Comparison with an Organic Forage-Based Crop Rotation: Compares net returns for conventional and organic forage-based crop rotations.
- Pro Forma Financial Statements: Creates pro-forma income and sources and uses of funds statements, and computes repayment capacity and liquidity measures.
- Evaluating Your Farmland Rental "Options": What should farmers do in this challenging operating environment? Should a farmer continue to rent the land if he or she fully expects to lose money?
- Corn Drying and Shrink Comparison: compare alternatives for wet grain at harvest
- Comparison of Drying Systems: compare total drying cost per bushel based on the type of drying system and price inputs
- Equipment Lease Analyzer: First it seeks to determine whether a lease or a purchase is more profitable and feasible from a cash flow perspective. Second it helps decide the annual contract hours for a lease.
- CODE RED: CODE RED is a tool that includes important information such as passwords, bank account information, rental agreements, insurance papers and power of attorney documents and much more in one easy location.
Source: Purdue University
While many of these spreadsheets have some “slick” features like data validation and are protected, you can still unprotect and customize these per your spreadsheet skill level. There is an assortment of Excel spreadsheets and GoogleSheets.
So you know … of course you download the Excel spreadsheets to use them locally on your computer. For the GoogleSheets, you’ll need to make a copy (file / make a copy, under your Google account) so you can edit and use them. The links provided just give you “view” access.
We have also compiled an app listing with direct links to these apps on iTunes or GooglePlay.