Using Mail Merge
Unless set up for a mail merge, the Purdue Extension postcard and nametag templates for Publisher will print multiple copies of the same document on one page.
However, setting up a mail merge is quite simple if you put all the relevant information in an Excel spreadsheet.
Mail Merge Step-by-Step
- Create a mailing list in an Excel spreadsheet. It can contain as many or as few fields as you want, but at a minimum, you should include fields for:
- First name
- Last name
- Address 1
- Address 2
- Zip code
- After you've created your postcard in Publisher, go to the "Tools" menu, select "Mail and Catalog Merge," then "Mail and Catalog Merge Wizard." A grey section will appear on the left side of your screen (See Figure 1).
- Select "Mail Merge" at the top of the gray section, then click on the "Next: Select data source" link at the bottom of the screen.
- Click "Browse" at the top of the gray section, and select the Excel file that contains your mailing list.
- A box will appear. Click "OK".
- The names in your mailing list will appear. Select those you want to send the postcard to, then click OK (See Figure 2).
- Click on the "Next: Create your publication" link at the bottom of the gray section.
- Highlight the mailing address section in the template, then click on the fields you want to appear (See Figure 3). Don't forget to include spaces, returns, and punctuation where appropriate. For example: First Name Last Name
City, State ZIP code.
- After adding all the desired fields, click on the "Next: Preview your publication" link at the bottom of the gray section. The names in your list should appear in the publication. To check them, click on the arrows at the top of the gray section.
- If all is well, click on "Next: Complete the merge" at the bottom of the gray section.
- Click on "Print" at the top of the gray section.
Learn more about branding and marketing Purdue Extension
Download letterhead, envelope and business card templates