FEMA: Are You Ready?
Familiarize yourself with these terms to help identify the following hazards:
- Floods are one of the most common hazards in the U.S.
- Tornadoes are nature's most violent storms.
- Hurricanes are a type of tropical cyclone, and typical hurricanes are accompanied by thunderstorms.
- Thunderstorms: all thunderstorms are dangerous and each one produces lightning.
- Winter Storms: heavy snowfall and extreme cold can immobilize an entire region.
- Extreme Heat: Heat kills by pushing the human body beyond its limits.
- Technological Hazards include hazardous material incidients and nuclear power plant failures.
- Terrorism: recent technological advances and ongoing international politiical unrest are components of the increased risk to national security.