Alpha Lambda Chapter, Epsilon Sigma Phi - Constitution
10/75, 10/86, 10/90, 10/93, 12/95, 8/96, 12/97, 8/98, 8/99, 8/2000, 10/01,
10/03, 10/04, 10/05, 10/07, 11/16)
Article I: Name
The name of this
organization shall be the Alpha Lambda Chapter, Epsilon Sigma Phi,
National Cooperative Extension Professionals' Organization.
Article II: Purpose
The purpose of this
association shall be exclusively charitable and educational.
This purpose includes, but is not limited to:
1. Maintaining the standards and ideals, preserving the traditions and
upholding the morale, prestige and respect of the Cooperative Extension
2. Developing an effective working relationship and a spirit of fraternal
and professional fellowship among the present and past employees of the
Cooperative Extension Service.
1. Duly elected
faculty, professional and administrative staff who have held full or part-time
Extension appointments for a total of five or more years (the five-year
requirement does not apply to ESP members in other states transferring to Purdue);
2. Have displayed a professional, cooperative and helpful attitude toward
fellow Extension employees, demonstrated competency in assigned fields of
3. Exhibited ability in educational techniques essential to the conduct
of an effective Extension program.
Annual members are those who are engaged in professional Extension work and who
have met all qualifications of membership;
2. Life: Annual Alpha Lambda Chapter members may become life
members upon their retirement from Extension work.
3. Inactive: Those who are not actively participating in Extension
work and/or who have not paid dues.
1. Acceptance of
membership by the newly elected member shall be acknowledged in writing and
accompanied by the initiation fee, prior to the date of initiation; and,
2. A person may withdraw from membership by notifying the Secretary in
3. Any member who fails to pay annual dues shall be dropped from membership
in the organization and shall be so notified in writing by the Secretary; and,
4. Any member may be expelled from the organization for failure to
observe the obligation or for conduct unbecoming a member of the organization;
5. Charges may be preferred in writing, signed by two members; and,
6. These charges shall be reviewed by the membership committee which will
investigate the charges and report to the organization, making a
7. An accused member shall have right of personal hearing and to file
evidence in regard to preferred charges; and,
8. Expulsion from the organization shall require that three-fourths of
all eligible voters, as defined above, cast their ballots with a simple
majority showing support of the motion to expel.
9. Reinstatement - Any member whose membership has lapsed may be
reinstated by paying regular dues.
The officers of this
organization shall consist of a President, Vice President, Secretary,
Treasurer, Past President, and Annalist.
Article V: Board of
The Board of Directors
of this organization shall consist of the officers and of the Chairs of the
Standing Committees (or their designee).
Article VI: Meetings
and a Quorum
An annual meeting shall be at the time of the annual Professional Staff
Special meetings shall be held upon call of the President or upon written
request of twenty percent of the members.
A Quorum - 15% of the paid membership shall be present to constitute a quorum
at any called or special meeting of the membership.
A Quorum for a board of directors - 50% of the members of the board of
Initiation Fees and Dues and Changes
Initiation fee - For this chapter it shall be set annually and will include
state and national dues for one year.
State and National Dues - Shall be payable to the Treasurer prior to the annual
chapter meeting or by October 1 of the current year.
Changes - Made by the National Council in dues and/or fees will automatically
apply to the local chapter.
Article VIII: Emblem
and Membership Card
The official emblem shall be that adapted by the National Council of Epsilon
Each member may be provided with a membership card signed by the local chapter
secretary and the national organization secretary.
Article IX: Amendments