The Department of Horticulture and Landscape Architecture Student Services Office (SSO) serves students majoring in horticulture and landscape architecture. The SSO is located in room HORT 207A and provides the following services.
- assigns entering freshmen or transfer students to an advisor according to their area of interest
- assists students with effective use of academic information so they can assume primary responsibility for academic planning and obtain maximum benefit from their University experiences
- assists students in developing an academic study plan to achieve career goals and to graduate in optimum time
- assists students with schedule adjustments so they can develop an appropriate academic schedule each semester
- maintains an up-to-date copy of each student's academic records
- assists students in writing petitions for course substitutions as needed
- serves as a distribution center for information related to internships, employment, and scholarships
- collects and disseminates information relative to all undergraduate activities such as registration procedures, changes in regulations, and new course offerings
- keeps registration, free time request, transfer credit evaluation, grade change, credit by exam authorization, division/section change, and other administrative forms
- directs students to the correct resource on specific problems that cannot be resolved at the Student Services Office
In addition to the advising services offered by the SSO, each student in the Department of Horticulture and Landscape Architecture is assigned to a faculty advisor who has expertise in the student's area of horticultural interest. The faculty advisor provides career counseling and advises students on course selections within the major.