Schedule a Meeting

A visit to the International Programs in Agriculture office in Agriculture Administration, room 26 will help find more information about the programs offered. Whitewater rafting in Costa Rica

Feel free to come in anytime during the office hours of Monday through Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.

Students can also schedule a meeting by emailing Please tell the time and day that is a good time to meet.

Come in anytime during office hours.


Select a Program

There are many study abroad programs to choose from which makes it difficult to select the best option. It is important to find the program that directly fits the needs and desires of the student.  When selecting a program, it is good to answer the following questions about Students at airportstudying abroad.

  • Why do you want to study abroad?
  • Have you been out of the country?
  • When do you want to study abroad?
  • Do you want to study abroad more than once?
  • In what country or countries would you like to study?
  • Do you want to study abroad for a year, semester, summer, or participate in a program led by faculty members?
  • Why have you chosen this length of time?
  • Would you consider studying abroad for a longer length of time?
  • When would be the best year for you (sophomore, junior, senior)?
  • How does study abroad fit into your personal or academic plans?
  • What kind of living arrangements do you prefer?
  • Do you have cost restraints?
  • Are you aware of financial aid, personal loans, grants, and scholarships?
  • Do you think you are a good candidate to study abroad?  Why?
  • What are some things that scare you about studying abroad?
  • Have you talked to people with experience of studying abroad?
  • Do you believe you are emotionally stable to be away from home for the amount of time?
  • Do you want to be immersed into a culture?
  • Do you want to study abroad with other Americans?
  • Do you believe you will take the time to explore new things and meet new people?
  • What type of location would you prefer? (small town, city, large city, metropolitan area)
  • How are you going to benefit from this experience?

Answering these questions help assist in making a decision on where and when to study abroad. After answering these questions, search for the programs available by visiting the International Programs in Agriculture office in AGAD 26 or search this website. Students should inform their academic advisor of their desire to study abroad.

Apply for a Passport

A passport is an official travel document issued by the government that proves the identity and nationality of a person. Students need a passport Passportbefore studying abroad and should apply for it as soon as possible. If students already have a passport, they should check the expiration date to make sure it is valid.

Passport applications for U.S. citizens are available in AGAD 26, post office or through the US Department of State.

New passport applicants must apply in person with all of these documents and pictures:

  • Completed passport application
  • Proof of U.S. citizenship (certified copy of a birth certificate)
  • Social Security number
  • Proof of identity (driving license, state identification card or military identification)
  • Two photographs*
  • Passport fee of $135 (cash, personal check or debit card)

*Passport pictures can be taken in AGAD 26 for free to those students studying abroad through International Programs in Agriculture. Passport pictures are taken during office hours Monday through Friday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. Photos can also be taken at CVS and Walgreens.

Students should turn in their passport application to the Lafayette post office at 3450 State Road 26 E. The passport office hours are Monday through Friday 8:00 am to 4:15 pm. To locate other passport application acceptance facilities look at the US Department of State.

Once the passport arrives, a student should:

  • Sign their passport
  • Fill out the emergency contact information in pencil (not ink)
  • Keep it safe
  • Leave copies of the picture and signature page with family members to put in a safe place

If a passport is lost or stolen, the student should report it immediately to the Passport Services office at the US Department of State in Washington. If abroad, it should be reported to the nearest US consulate or embassy, police, and the program coordinator.

Some governments require a visa allowing permission to enter and stay in their country. If a visa is required, the International Programs in Agriculture office will assist in the process.KT in Ireland

Prepare for Your Travels

To plan for the study abroad experience, attend the two orientation sessions, read "Preparing for your Term Abroad" in the acceptance packet, research information about the country, and continue to do well academically at Purdue.