​Parent Links

Contact Information

When you don't know where to go for information, have your son or daughter begin by contacting his/her advisor.

You can also contact us.​

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Does my student need to have a computer to succeed at Purdue? 

A: A student does not need to have a computer to succeed, but it becomes more and more helpful as they progress in their educational pursuit. There are many computers in labs campus-wide and small computer labs in the residence halls. If students wish to have their own computers, they will have Internet access in their residence hall rooms. The campus is largely wireless, if students prefer to use laptops.

Q: Does Purdue offer a discount to students for computers and software? 

A: Purdue offers some discounts for computers and software – see http://www.itap.purdue.edu/shopping/. Through a new agreement with HP, Purdue offers students an option to purchase a high quality notebook or tablet with excellent warrantee, insurance, and customer support.

Q: Is the campus safe? 

A: "Making sure that students are safe is a primary focus of the University. Purdue makes every effort to provide a safe environment." That said, however, students should use common sense about where and when they walk. The Purdue University Police Department publishes an annual security report, there are many emergency telephones on campus, and the Student Security Patrol offers the Safe-Walk program. See http://www.purdue.edu/police/pdf/YourCampus.pdf

Q: Does Purdue have a form to sign so that I can have access to my student's grades? 

A: Purdue must comply with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA). Since educational records belong to the student, we cannot release information without explicit consent of the student. Purdue, unlike some other colleges, does not have a specific form for students to release information, but the student may consent to release grades to designated people by writing and signing a statement to that effect. We advise parents to reach an understanding with their students to share grades. For more information about FERPA and Purdue policies see www.purdue.edu/policies/pages/records/c_51.html

Q: Is underage drinking a problem? 

A: Any level of underage drinking is a problem, so we encourage you to discuss this with your student before arriving on campus. Help her/him understand the consequences of alcohol.

Q: Is there tutoring or help if my student has difficulty in classes? 

A: There are many resources. If your son/daughter is having academic difficulty, please encourage him/her to talk to his/her advisor. http://www.purdue.edu/advisors/academic/tutors.html

Q: May students bring cars their first year? 

A: Parking on campus is limited and difficult. "Due to the large number of student automobiles, first-year students living on campus may not purchase parking permits. Residence hall managers handle exceptions on a case-by-case basis."

Q: What about bringing a bicycle? 

A: Bicycles are an excellent way to get around campus. There are many bike racks outside buildings. Students should bring good locks and understand that there is no available inside storage for bikes at the residence halls.

Q: Will my student be able to change classes if she/he cannot understand a foreign teacher? 

A: We encourage students to stay in a class taught by someone with a foreign accent. Often, a student will learn to understand the accent, and many of these teachers offer excellent courses. However, there may be alternatives (other divisions of the same class, alternate classes, or the option of taking the course in a different semester) if a student cannot make the current class work. The student should speak with her/his advisor.

Q: What if my student cannot get along with his or her roommate? 

A: Encourage him/her to work it out with the roommate. Your direct involvement usually will not help in this matter. If the students are unable to work things out together, they should consult their residence hall counselor, who will have knowledge of these issues and how to proceed.

Q: Is Boiler Gold Rush (BGR) a good idea? 

A: Most of the feedback about BGR that we receive is positive. This is an excellent opportunity for incoming students to make the transition to campus life, to meet other students, and to feel more confident as they approach the school year.

Q: Is study abroad really important? 

A: The College encourages all students to participate in an overseas experience. The students not only gain knowledge, they also learn personal skills, re-align perspectives, and change attitudes – all lessons they can apply throughout their lives. If you have questions or concerns about study abroad, please contact the International Programs in Agriculture office.

: I'm concerned that my student will be anxious about fitting in. What can you suggest? 

A: There are many organizations and resources on campus to help students with anxiety about belonging. One organization housed in the College of Agriculture is MANRRS (Minorities in Agriculture, Natural Resources and Related Sciences) which offers personal and academic support to any interested student. See https://ag.purdue.edu/omp/Pages/manrrs.aspx for more information. There are many more resources and organizations inside and outside the COA; students should consult with their academic advisors for a referral.

Q: What about joining a Learning Community? 

A: Learning Communities can be very valuable in helping new students find a group of like-minded individuals. Often, these student cohorts foster strong friendships that last throughout the educational tenure. If your student is interested in joining a Learning Community, we urge you to encourage his/her participation! The student should speak to his/her academic advisor who can determine if there is space available.

Q: What meal plan is best? 

A: Ask your student to consider his/her eating habits. Base your decision on the information you have; she/he may up the number of meals at any time and lower the number for the next semester. Be aware that meal plans are very flexible; students can pack and bring a lunch, and use their meal card at a number of dining locations for a variety of specialty meals. Students may choose plans offering 10, 15 or 20 meals per week. Go to www.housing.purdue.edu (click on "dining") for more information.

Q: My student is interested in developing his/her leadership skills. What opportunities are there? 

A: The College of Agriculture offers a Leadership Development Certificate Program for students who have completed a minimum of 30 credit hours and who have at least four semesters left in their degree programs. For more information go to https://ag.purdue.edu/oap/cate/leadership/ldcp/​

Office of Academic Programs, 615 West State Street, West Lafayette, IN 47907-2053 USA, (765) 494-8470

© Purdue University | An equal access/equal opportunity university | Integrity Statement | USDA non-discrimination statement | Copyright Complaints | Maintained by Agricultural Communication

Trouble with this page? Disability-related accessibility issue? Please contact us at agweb@purdue.edu so we can help.

Sign In