Student Organizations: The 1920s

 

The Purdue Agricultural Society was the primary School of Agriculture student organization in the 1920s. At most meetings students made presentations on special topics or their thesis work. Also, there were presentations from faculty and outside speakers.

The Agricultural Society sponsored the All Ag Banquet in cooperation with other organizations on south campus. One hundred and sixty-one attended the event held in the new Purdue Memorial Union on October 16, 1928. The series of All Ag Banquets began in 1909.

The 1925 Apple Judging Team from Purdue was the the national winner.

With the formation of several academic departments in the previous 10 to 15 years, more specialized student organizations had appeared. These included The Poultry Club (1913), The Dairy Club (1915) and The Ag Education Society (1919). Toward the end of the decade, the Animal Husbandry Club (1929) was established. The Horticulture Society (1912) conducted the annual Horticulture Show in November. Freshmen Agriculture students were in charge of planning and conducting the annual Egg Show in the spring.

During the decade, there were livestock, poultry, dairy, dairy products and apple judging teams that competed with teams from other universities.

The Purdue Agriculturist magazine published nine editions each year that were distributed widely in Indiana and elsewhere to subscribers. Students wrote most articles. During the 1920s they emphasized agricultural research results, educational programs offered by the school, student activities and agricultural alumni programs. The magazine also conducted an essay contest available to Indiana high school students. Prizes were awarded.

Four honorary societies inducted students based upon their high achievements. Alpha Zeta (1908 Charter) and CERES (1919 Charter) chose members from all academic areas of the college. Hoof and Horn (1913 Charter) focused on individuals who excelled in Animal Husbandry. Kappa Delta Pi (1919 Charter) chose education majors in several disciplines across the campus, including Agricultural Education.

The Purdue Agricultural Society and The Illinois Agricultural Club conducted annual exchange programs where the organizations visited the other’s campus and conducted joint programs during the spring.

Records show that students assisted Professor Wallace O. Mills, Field Services Representative in Agriculture, in establishing several county agricultural alumni clubs in 1927. Also, a meeting of former 4-H members was held in December 1928.

Read More