The Agricultural Council
The student Agricultural Council, soon to be 70 years old, has a rich history of promoting educational enrichment and social interaction for Purdue Agriculture students.
Today’s council has 22 members and is active in sponsoring the ice cream social, hot chocolate social, hog roast, moonlight pancake breakfast, leader retreats and spring awards banquet. It also is involved in Purdue Spring Fest activities.
The Agricultural Council was formed in the early 1950s when leaders of existing student organizations felt the need for a group that would represent all students in the school. It was in the April 1951 issue of The Purdue Agriculturist that editor-in-chief, W. Wayne Townsend authored the editorial including the following observations.
An Ag Council at Purdue should be very useful to the students in the School of Agriculture, to the Ag Faculty, and to the University itself. Activities of such a council could be almost innumerable. Many programs might be initiated by such an organization.
Coordination of the various clubs would be one of the most important functions of the Ag Council. Another very useful purpose that a council could perform would be to develop a closer relationship between the students and the faculty.
The Agricultural Council was formed and it sponsored its first of a series of All Ag-Nite Banquets on April 18, 1952, in the Purdue Memorial Union that was attended by more than 700 students and guests. In the 1950s and 1960s, conducting the annual banquet was council’s principal activity.
Over the years the Ag Council has sponsored Operation Brainpower with the Purdue Agricultural Alumni Association, the Boilermaker Barn Burner, and many Agriculture Career Fairs, and more.
For most of its history, the Agricultural Council elected annual representatives to serve on the Agricultural Faculty Curriculum and Student Relations and Grade Appeals Committees. More recently, student representatives to these committees have been randomly selected from nominations submitted by each academic department.
From the 1890s through the 1920s, The Purdue Agricultural Society had conducted activities and programs for all School of Agriculture students that were comparable to those that have been conducted by the Agricultural Council since 1952.