The Indiana A&M “Aggies”
The Indiana A&M “Aggies” did not come to pass, but the name wasn’t exactly out of the realm of possibility.
On March 6, 1865, the Indiana General Assembly voted to accept the provisions of the 1862 Morrill Act of Congress to establish a land-grant university. A five-member board including Governor Morton became “The Trustees of the Indiana Agricultural College” and met for the first time on October 20, 1865.
On April 9, 1867, the board sold the 300,000-acre land script it had received from the Federal government for $212,238.50 and established an endowment.
On May 6, 1869, the Indiana General Assembly, lacking an oversupply of money, but wanting to move forward on the “Indiana Agricultural College,” accepted gifts to establish the university of $50,000 from Tippecanoe County and $150,000 and 100 acres of land from John Purdue, who stipulated that his name must be associated with the new institution.
Today, there are “Aggies” at Texas A&M, New Mexico State, Utah State, and the University of California-Davis generated from the 1862 Morrill Act. Purdue, on the other hand, has Boilermakers.