Extension/Engagement: Strengthening Lives
Be recognized as the premier institution engaging stakeholders across Indiana and beyond in identifying and addressing priority issues to enhance quality of life as well as the efficiency and/or effectiveness of organizations through research-based education.
INITIATIVE 1: Create innovative, multidisciplinary educational programming addressing issues relevant to Indiana.
- Conduct a needs assessment to guide program development and evaluation for each audience.
- Develop holistic programs that span Extension program areas, reach across disciplines and engage traditional and new audiences across rural and urban Indiana.
- Empower producers to further develop and diversify agriculture and food systems.
- Demonstrate the importance of natural resource conservation and management practices.
- Educate and inform consumers about agriculture and food production.
- Foster a full continuum of workforce, business, and economic development.
- Enhance health and wellness in ways that embrace the full spectrum of well-being.
- Inspire confidence and conviction among Indiana’s youth to become tomorrow’s leaders by strengthening P–12 educational programs both on and off campus.
- Support families using education in connectedness, communication, and life skills.
- Expand urban outreach and educational programs, engaging new urban audiences as partners and participants.
- Increase community engagement by cultivating leaders, partnerships, and civics.
INITIATIVE 2: Diversify and utilize appropriate Extension delivery systems tailored to specific audience needs.
- Utilize market analysis to guide program development and evaluation for each audience.
- Develop innovative educational programming that utilizes technology appropriate for specific audiences and demographics.
- Enhance existing partnerships to deliver new and innovative programs.
- Develop and implement training programs to educate staff members and enhance employee skill sets.
- Provide staff diversity training on cultural awareness, immersion experiences, and international opportunities.
- Identify current, innovative Purdue Extension educational approaches to replicate for larger impacts.
INITIATIVE 3: Seize new opportunities to effectively raise awareness of Extension resources, programs, and successes.
- Measure the impact of Extension programming and initiatives using innovative approaches that capture the myriad ways that Extension makes a positive difference.
- Define key messaging and brand positioning statements that can serve as anchors for all components of Extension marketing.
- Showcase the success stories of Extension Educators and Specialists to establish relevance to stakeholders.
- Utilize the full breadth of media (e.g., print, TV, radio, online), including aggressive use of social media marketing and communications, to raise awareness of Extension.
- Develop branded materials that are easily adaptable for use with county-level programs.
INITIATIVE 4: Increase the attractiveness of Extension as a career choice.
- Build precollege student linkages to increase understanding of Purdue Extension.
- Expose undergraduates to the breadth of Extension programming and professional opportunities.
- Enhance University engagement by integrating graduate students in Extension programming and providing opportunities to produce educational materials.
- Increase and diversify the pool of applicants for Extension positions.
- Retain talent through competitive, but fiscally responsible, compensation and regular opportunities for professional development.