International: Creating Global Perspective
Build a robust international perspective across the College and with stakeholders, to take advantage of global opportunities and to address challenges in the agriculture, food, natural resource, and life sciences through international learning, discovery, and engagement.
INITIATIVE 1: Prepare students for international facets of their careers and lives through experiences on and off campus.
- Ensure that each undergraduate student obtains international experience and perspective through study abroad or non-travel experiences.
- Provide students with additional exposure to international/global policy and regulatory issues.
- Create opportunities to integrate U.S. and international students for mutually beneficial learning.
INITIATIVE 2: Prepare and support faculty and staff members to engage internationally, and recognize faculty and staff members for their involvement in international activities.
- Help faculty and staff members identify how international activity can be part of their professional responsibilities, and help develop their international goals.
- Create awareness of the opportunities offered by international engagement/Extension for faculty and staff members.
- Provide effective project-management support for faculty and staff members engaged in international activities.
- Ensure that the scholarship of international learning, discovery, and engagement is clearly communicated to the faculty and to Primary and Area Promotion Committees.
- Create an international award(s) for the College that recognizes excellence in international learning, discovery, and/or engagement.
INITIATIVE 3: Prioritize efforts for global impact by proactively focusing on areas of strength and by working strategically with partners on and off campus.
- Provide global leadership in focus areas and areas of strength (e.g., plant science, post-harvest loss reduction, commercialization of agricultural technologies for smallholder farmers, utilizing big data for addressing complex problems, etc.).
- Adopt a proactive and visible strategy for international involvement in discovery and engagement activities.
- Work strategically with partners within and outside Purdue to address important global opportunities and challenges.
- Pursue international capacity-building opportunities that have synergistic benefits for Purdue and for Indiana.
- Engage in human-capital-development activities to help create the next generation of leaders in the developing world.
INITIATIVE 4: Help Indiana citizens and organizations take advantage of global trends and opportunities.
- Increase visibility of College international activities utilizing a strategic set of communication activities.
- Identify and bring global opportunities to nonprofits and firms.
- Raise awareness of relevant global regulatory and policy issues for Indiana citizens, organizations, and firms.