Those requiring an invitation letter to include in visa and/or financial
assistance applications should contact Marcy Wilson (email@example.com) to have an electronic copy emailed to them. Please note that hard copies will
not be sent.
Travelers requiring a visa to enter the United States should review the U.S. Department of State's
website for details on applying for and obtaining the appropriate visa. Please
note that applicants should plan ahead and check on local appointment wait
times to determine how far in advance this process should be initiated.
All travelers should be up-to-date on routine vaccinations while traveling to
any destination. For requirements specific to the United States, please visit
the Centers for Disease Control and
Transportation and Parking
is located in West Lafayette, Indiana, which is approximately 65 miles (105 km)
northwest of Indianapolis, Indiana and 120 miles (195 km) southeast of Chicago,
- Via Indianapolis - Those wishing to fly into the Indianapolis International
Airport can rent a car and drive and to West Lafayette or take the Lafayette Limo
or Reindeer Shuttle
- Via Chicago - Those wishing to fly into the Chicago O'Hare
International Airport can rent a car and drive to West Lafayette or take the Express
Air Coach, Reindeer Shuttle or Lafayette Limo
- Campus Parking - Visitor parking is available in the Grant Street Parking
Garage, adjacent to the Purdue Memorial Union, 101 N. Grant St, West Lafayette,
IN. If you have a parking permit, you may park in any A, B, or C parking space.
- Additional Shuttle Details
- Reservations should be made in advance for all airport shuttles. Be advised that airport shuttles may not drop off or pick up directly from your hotel. Please be sure to look into these details when selecting a service.
- Round trip or one-way airport shuttles can be reserved.
- If there is sufficient interest from conference participants to leave Purdue at 4 p.m. on Thur., Sept. 27 (i.e., end of conference Session 6) for the Indianapolis International Airport or the Chicago O’Hare International Airport, shuttles will be arranged by conference organizers at a cost consistent with those of the shuttle services listed above. Contact Marcy Wilson (firstname.lastname@example.org) to indicate your interest in this option, stating whether your flight is from Indianapolis (<1.5 hr away) or Chicago (~2-3 hr away) airports.
be aware of the following when traveling to the United States.
- Currency - The official currency of the United States is the US
- Banks and Foreign Exchange - Normal banking hours in the US are Monday-Friday
9am-5:30pm. There are a number of banks near Purdue University, some of which
offer foreign currency exchange. Exchange bureaus are also available at the
international airports. ATMs are available throughout the campus and town.
- Credit Cards - Visa and MasterCard are accepted at nearly all
establishments. American Express and Discover are also accepted, but not as
- Tipping - While tipping is not mandatory, it is customary for service in the US,
specifically for dining, transportation, and lodging.
- Sales Tax - Sales tax will be applied to many purchases in the USA.
- Health and Safety - In the event of a health or safety emergency in the USA,
911 should be dialed.