Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
Goal: Advance new models of best practices, attending to core values and culture, for integrating diversity, equity and inclusive excellence into the living culture of the College.
- Advocacy of the value of multicultural competence, diversity, equity and inclusive excellence throughout the College.
- A culture of welcoming all people that offers opportunities for everyone to succeed and thrive.
- A collaborative community where the benefits of human and intellectual diversity, and inclusive excellence, are valued as intrinsic assets at the core of educational and professional development.
- A sense of belonging with respect and dignity, transparency and freedom of self-expression, open communication and individual identities embraced for inclusivity and excellence that strengthen a multicultural community.
- Equity in representation among faculty, staff and students demonstrated through recruitment, retention, professional development and participation in collaborative activities.
- Peer recognition of the College's diversity and inclusion programs as new models of best practices that inform other educational environments for emulation.
Key Strategic Initiatives
- Equip faculty, staff and students with tools to recognize what it means and takes to have a diverse and inclusive environment.
- Conduct new College employee welcome orientation (faculty, staff, graduate students) through:
- Initial diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) conversations.
- Professional development with continued DEI conversations for expansion of DEI awareness.
- Respect the value of staff with support (e.g., time release, financial assistance) for professional development in DEI and for career advancement.
- Establish DEI core curricula and training programs to be available for all in the College.
- Develop affinity groups for the College.
- Create recruitment initiatives to increase the diversity of staff hiring pools.
- Create guidelines, expectations and rubrics for assessing DEI compliance and competency of staff and faculty to use when assigning merit.