Joe M Anderson
Professor of Agronomy
Office: Lilly 3-369
Area of Expertise: Plant Molecular Genetics
Google Scholar Citations
Not taking additional graduate students at this time
Dr. Anderson’s research emphasis is developing resistance in wheat and oat to viral and fungal diseases. Consequently, he directs a diverse research program with four main objectives:
- Utilization of related species: Related species of wheat and oat contain highly effective disease resistance traits. Wide crosses and the subsequent generation of translocation lines are being used to integrate resistance to Barley and Cereal Dwarf Viruses into cultivated wheat and oat.
- Genomic and cellular characterization of resistance mechanisms: Wheatgrass-derived resistance to Barley and Cereal Dwarf Viruses provides excellent resistance in wheat. Comparative transcriptome studies have identified gene expression profiles highly correlated with susceptibility and resistance. Cellular analyses have shown that a block in virus movement is a key component in wheatgrass-derived virus resistance. Understanding the mechanisms of virus resistance will significantly improve our ability to develop virus resistant small grain crops.
- Molecular marker development: Marker-assisted selection is a critical component for integrating disease resistance traits and other important into elite wheat and oat germplasm and varieties. Using high throughput sequence technologies and bioinformatic tools we are identifying, developing and mapping SSR and SNP markers in wheat and oat.
- Small grain virus epidemiology: Through the development of a multi-plex PCR method we can simultaneously detect up to 10 different viruses. This method, for the first time, provides scientists a tool to identify which viruses are present in their geographical region. These data will inform breeding programs and plant pathologists across these cereal growing regions about viral pathogen(s) that are a problem in their areas.
7/17-present - Professor of Agronomy
10/10-6/17 - Department Head/Professor, Department of Agronomy, Purdue University
11/03-10/10 - Research Molecular Biologist, USDA-ARS & Adjunct Professor, Purdue Agronomy & Botany/Plant Pathology Departments
5/04-11/03 - Research Molecular Biologist, USDA-ARS & Adjunct Associate Professor, Purdue Agronomy & Botany/Plant Pathology Departments
11/93-5/04 - Research Molecular Biologist, USDA-ARS & Adjunct Assistant Professor, Agronomy & Botany/Plant Pathology Departments Purdue University
2/92-10/93-Research Geneticist, USDA-ARS, & Adjunct Assistant Professor
7/90-2/92-Post-doctoral Fellow, Dept. Plant Pathology, Cornell University.
6/87-7/90-Post-doctoral Fellow, Institute Biological Chemistry, Washington State Univ.
Iowa State University, Ph.D., 1987, Genetics
Iowa State University, M.S., 1983, Microbiology
St. Bonaventure University, B.S., 1980, Biology
Awards and Honors
Purdue University Award for Excellence in Distance Learning for Professional Development - 2015
Food Systems Leadership Institute - 2013-2015
Committee on Institutional Cooperation, Department Executive Officer Development Workshop - 2011
USDA-ARS Certificates of Merit - 2000-2008
Purdue University College of Agriculture Team Award (small Grains Team) - 2000
Gamma Sigma Delta, Agriculture Honor Society - 1997
Sigma Xi - 1991
New York Academy of Sciences - 1989
- Jannink, J- L., A. Kilian, A. Bjornstad, P. Wenzl, C. P. Wight, H. W. Rines, N. A. Tinker, J. M. Anderson, K. Heller-Uszynska, and Catherine J. Howarth. New DArT markers for oat provide enhanced map coverage and global germplasm characterization. BMC Genomics (2014).
- Oliver RE, Tinker NA, Lazo GR, Chao S, Jellen EN, Carson ML, Rines HW, Obert DE, Lutz JD, Shackelford I, Korol AB, Wight CP, Gardner KM, Hattori J, Beattie AD, Bjørnstad Å, Bonman JM, Jannink J-L, Sorrells ME, Brown-Guedira GL, Mitchell Fetch JW, Harrison SA, Howarth CJ, Ibrahim A, Kolb FL, McMullen MS, Murphy JP, Ohm HW, Rossnagel BG, Yan W, Miclaus KJ, Hiller J, Maughan PJ, Redman Hulse RR, Anderson JM, Islamovic E, Jackson EW (2013) SNP discovery and chromosome anchoring provide the first physically-anchored hexaploid oat map and reveal synteny with model species PLoS ONE 8(3): e58068. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0058068
- Maloney, PV., JH Lyerly, DR Wooten, JM Anderson, DP Livingston, G Brown-Guedira, D Marshall, JP Murphy. 2011. Marker Development and Quantitative Trait Loci in a Fall-Sown Oat Recombinant Inbred Population. Crop Science.51:490-502.
- Oliver RE, GR Lazo, JD Lutz, MJ Rubenfield, NA Tinker, JM Anderson, NH Wisniewski Morehead, D Adhikary, EN Jellen, PJ Maughan, GL Brown Guedira, S Chao, AD Beattie, ML Carson, HW Rines, DE Obert, JM Bonman, EW Jackson. 2011. Model SNP development for complex genomes based on hexaploid oat using high-throughput 454 sequencing technology. BMC Genomics. 12:77.
- Cowger C, R Weisz, JM Anderson, and JR Horton. 2010. Maize Debris Increases Barley Yellow Dwarf Virus Severity in North Carolina Winter Wheat. Agronomy Journal. 102:688-696.
- Ayala-Navarrete, L, N Thompson, H Ohm, and J Anderson. 2010. Molecular markers show a complex mosaic pattern of wheat-Thinopyrum intermedium translocations carrying resistance to YDV. Theoretical and Applied Genetics. 121: 961-970.
- Anderson JM, SB Goodwin, D Bucholtz, N Sardesai, G Gyulai, J Santini, and CE Williams. 2010. Evaluation of Triticum aestivum x Lophopyrum elongata disomic substitution lines for resistance to Mycosphaerella graminicola, Blumeria graminis, Barley and Cereal Yellow Dwarf Virus and Hessian fly. Euphytica. 172:251-262.
- Liu X, JM Anderson and PM Pijut. 2010. Cloning and characterization of Prunus serotina AGAMOUS, a putative flower homeotic gene. Plant Molecular Biology Reporter. 28:193–203.
- Kong L, JM Anderson, and HW Ohm. 2009. Segregation distortion in bread wheat of a segment of Thinopyrum intermedium chromosome 7E carrying Bdv3. Plant Breeding 128, 591-597.
- Tinker NA, A Kilian, CP Wight, K Uszynska-Heller, P Wenzl, HW Rines, A Bjørnstad, Å., CJ Howarth, J-L Jannink, JM Anderson, BG Rossnagel, and 15 additional authors. 2009. New DArT markers for oat provide enhanced map coverage and global germplasm characterization. BMC Genomics. 10:39.
- Deb M and JM Anderson. 2008. Development of a multiplexed PCR detection method for Barley and Cereal yellow dwarf viruses, Wheat spindle streak virus, Wheat Streak Mosaic Virus and Soil-borne wheat mosaic virus. J. Virol. Methods. 148:17–24.
- Kong L, HW Ohm, and JM Anderson. 2007. Expression analysis of defense-related genes in wheat in response to infection by Fusarium graminearum. Genome. 50:1038-1048.
- Ohm HW, JM Anderson, HC Sharma, L Ayala, N Thompson, and JJ Uphaus. 2005. Registration of yellow dwarf virus resistant wheat germplasm line P961341. Crop Science. 45:805-806.
- Mullan DJ, A Platteter, NL Teakle, R Appels, TD Colmer, JM Anderson, MG Francki. 2005. EST-derived SSR markers from defined regions of the wheat genome to identify Lophopyrum elongatum specific loci. Genome. 48:811-822.
- Kong L, JM Anderson, and HW Ohm. 2005. Induction of wheat defense and stress-related genes in response to Fusarium graminearum. Genome. 48:29-40.
- Balaji B, K O'Connor, JR Lucas, JM Anderson, and LN Csonka. 2005. Timing of induction of osmotically controlled genes in Salmonella enterica serovar typhimurium, determined with quantitative real-time reverse transcription-PCR. Appl. & Environ. Microbiol. 71:8273-8283.
- Carvalho CHS, UB Zehr, N Gunaratna, JM Anderson, HH Kononowicz, TK Hodges, and JD Axtell. 2004. Agrobacterium-mediated transformation of sorghum: factors that affect transformation efficiency. Genet. and Mol. Biol. 27:259-269.
- Wiangjun H and JM Anderson. 2004. The basis for Thinopyrum-derived resistance to Cereal yellow dwarf virus. Phytopathology. 94:1102-1106.
- Adhikari TB, JM Anderson, and SB Goodwin. 2003. Identification and molecular mapping of a gene in wheat conferring resistance to Mycosphaerella graminicola. Phytopathology. 93:1158-1164.
- Balaji B, DL Bucholtz, and JM Anderson. 2003. Barley yellow dwarf virus and cereal yellow dwarf virus quantification by real-time PCR in resistant and susceptible plants. Phytopathology. 93:1386-1392.
- Dorsch JA, A Cook, KA Young, JM Anderson, AT Bauman, CJ Volkmannc, PN Murthy Pushpalatha, and V Raboy. 2003. Seed phosphorus and inositol phosphate phenotype of barley low phytic acid genotypes. Phytochemistry. 62:691-706.
- Ray S, JM Anderson, FI Urmeev, and SB Goodwin. 2003. Rapid induction of a protein disulfide isomerase and defense-related genes in wheat in response to the hemibiotrophic fungal Mycosphaerella graminicola. Plant Mol. Biol. 53:701-714.
- Francki MG, WA Berzonsky, HW Ohm, and JM Anderson. 2002. Physical location of a HSP70 gene homologue on the centromere of chromosome 1B of wheat (Triticum aestivum L.). Theoretical and Applied Genetics. 104:184-191.
- Francki MG, HW Ohm, and JM Anderson. 2001. Novel germplasm providing BYDV resistance in wheat. Australian Journal of Agricultural Research. 52:1375-1382.
- Crasta O, MG Francki, DL Bucholtz, H Sharma, J Zhang, R-C Wang, HW Ohm, and JM Anderson. 2000. Molecular characterization of wheat-wheatgrass translocation lines and localization of BYDV resistance locus on the alien chromosome in wheat. Genome. 43:698-706.
- Sharma H, MG Francki, O Crasta, G Gyulai, D Bucholtz, HW Ohm, JM Anderson, K Perry, and F. Patterson. 1999. Cytological and molecular characterization of wheat lines with Thinopyrum intermedium chromosome additions, substitutions and translocations resistant to barley yellow dwarf virus. Cytologia. 64:93-100.
- Anderson JM, DL Bucholtz, AE Greene, MG Francki, S M Gray, H Sharma, HW Ohm, and KL Perry. 1998. Characterization of wheatgrass-derived barley yellow dwarf virus resistance in a wheat alien chromosome substitution line. Phytopathology. 88:851-855.
- Francki MG, O Crasta, JM Anderson, H Sharma and HW Ohm. 1997. Structural organization of an alien Thinopyrum intermedium group 7 chromosome in US soft red winter wheat (Triticum aestivum L.). Genome. 40:716-722.
- Nakata PA, JM Anderson, and TW Okita. 1994. Structure and expression of the potato ADP-glucose pyrophosphorylase small subunit. J. Biol. Chem. 269: 30798-30807.
- Zaitlin M, JM Anderson, KL Perry, L Zhang, and P Palukaitis. 1994. Specificity of replicase-mediated resistance to cucumber mosaic virus. Virology. 201:200-205.
- Anderson JM, P Palukaitis, and M Zaitlin. 1992. A defective replicase gene induces resistance to cucumber mosaic virus in transgenic tobacco plants. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. (USA). 89:8759-8763.
- Anderson JM, DS Robertson, and DW Morris. 1991. Molecular characterization of four shrunken mutants induced in Mutator lines in Zea mays L. Plant Science. 77:93-101.
- Anderson JM, R Larson, D Laudencia, WT Kim, D Morrow, and TW Okita. 1991. Molecular characterization of the gene encoding a rice endosperm-specific ADPglucose pyrophosphorylase subunit and its developmental pattern of transcription. Gene 97:199-205.
- Nakata PA, TW Greene, JM Anderson, BJ Smith-White, T Okita, and J Preiss. 1991. Comparison of the primary sequences of two potato tuber ADP-glucose pyrophosphorylase subunits. Plant Mol. Biol. 17:1089-1093.
- Okita TW, PA Nakata, JM Anderson, J Sowokinos, M Morell, and J Preiss. 1990. The subunit structure of potato tuber ADPglucose pyrophosphorylase. Plant Physiol. 93:785-790.
- Anderson JM, J Hnilo, R. Larson, TW Okita, M Morell, and J Preiss. 1989. The encoded primary sequence of a rice seed ADPglucose pyrophosphorylase subunit and its homology to the bacterial enzyme. J. Biol. Chem. 264:12238-12242.
- Anderson JM and PA Hartman. 1985. Direct immunoassay for the detection of salmonellae in foods and feeds. Appl. Environ. Microbiol. 49:1124-1127.
Date joined staff: 1993