Shaun N Casteel
Assistant Professor of Agronomy
Office: Lilly 3-450-A
Personal Web Page
Area of Expertise: Soybean Production Systems, Small Grains
Extension and Research:
We address today’s agronomic challenges of soybean and small grains through various extension programs and applied research. Outreach efforts are to educate, train, and provide the most relevant information that enables timely and sound management decisions in these production systems.
Overall goals of our extension and research team are to improve the production of soybeans and small grains while maintaining economic viability, environmental stewardship, and social responsibility. To this end, we evaluate various cultural practices, new and upcoming inputs, and integrated management. Key areas of interest include: precision management of resources and practices; integration of soil characteristics, nutrient inputs, and crop physiology; and the influence of agronomic practices on yield physiology of first crop and double crop soybean systems (winter wheat and cover crop).
Most Significant Publications:
- Ø Jordan, D. L., S. H. Lancaster, J. E. Lanier, P. D. Johnson, J. B. Beam, A. C. York, R. L. Brandenburg, F. R. Walls, S. Casteel, and C. Hudak. 2006. Influence of Application Variables of Boron-Containing Fertilizers Applied in Peanut. Peanut Science 33:37-42. (peer-reviewed)
- Ø Nuti, R., S. Casteel, R. Viator, J. Lanier, K. Edmisten, D. Jordan, G. Grabow, S. Barnes, J. Mathews, R. Wells. 2006. Management of cotton grown under overhead sprinkle and sub-surface drip irrigation. J. Cot. Sci. Vol 10 issue 2:76-88. (peer-reviewed)
- Ø Nuti, R., R. Viator, S. Casteel, K. Edmisten, and R. Wells. 2006. Effect of planting date, mepiquat chloride, and glyphosate application to glyphosate-resistant cotton. Agron. J. 98:1627-1633. (peer-reviewed)
- Ø Casteel, S., R. Nuti, K. Edmisten, and R. Wells. 2009. Cotton response to combinations of mepiquat chloride, pyrithiobac, and CGA 362622. (prepared for Agronomy Journal).
- Ø Casteel, S., R.O. Maguire, D.W. Israel, and J.T. Brake. 2009. Broiler breeder manure phosphorus forms are affected by diet, location within pen, and period of accumulation. (submitted to Journal of Environmental Quality).
- Ø Assistant Professor, Soybean Extension Specialist, Purdue University, May 2009-present
- Ø Agronomist, North Carolina Department of Agriculture & Consumer Services, April 2004-February 2006
- Ø A.S., Agriculture, Lake Land College, 1997-1999
- Ø B.S., Crop Science, University of Illinois (Urbana), 1999-2001
- Ø M.S., Crop Science, North Carolina State University, 2001-2004
- Ø Ph.D., Soil Science, North Carolina State University, 2006-2009
- Awards and Honors—Collegiate
- Ø Eugene J. Kamprath Soil Science Scholarship. 2008
- Ø Soil Science Society of America, Div. S-4 Soil Fertility & Plant Nutrition, S-8 Nutrient Management and Soil & Plant Analysis Graduate Student Competition – 3rd place, 2008
- Ø Soil Science Society of NC Graduate Student Poster Competition – 1st place, 2008
- Ø Soil Science Society of America, Div. S-4 Soil Fertility & Plant Nutrition, S-8 Nutrient Management and Soil & Plant Analysis Graduate Student Poster Competition – 2nd place, 2007
- Ø Hugh Hammond Bennett SWCS Scholarship. 2006
- Ø Cotton Beltwide Graduate Student Oral Presentation Competition – 3rd place, 2004
- Ø American Society of Agronomy Undergraduate Symposium – 2nd place, 2000 Jonathan Baldwin Turner Undergraduate Research Award. 2000
- Ø Sigma Xi: 2007 to present
- Ø Soil Science Society of America, 2006 to present
- Ø Crop Science Society of America, 2006 to present
- Ø Agronomy Society of America, 2006 to present
- Ø Gamma Sigma Delta, 2001 to present