Torbert R Rocheford
Patterson Endowed Chair/Prof of Agronomy
Office: Lilly 2-464 A
Area of Expertise
: Biological Sciences, Plant Biotechnology and Molecular Biology, Plant Breeding, Genetics and Cytogenetics-maize breeding and genetic stocksRocheford Lab Website
- Relative utility of agronomic, phenological, and morphological traits for assessing genotype‐by‐environment interaction in maize inbreds. Crop Science. 2020; 60: 62– 81.
- Maize genomes to fields (G2F): 2014–2017 field seasons: genotype, phenotype, climatic, soil, and inbred ear image datasets. BMC Res Notes 13, 71 (2020).
Dominance Effects and Functional Enrichments Improve Prediction of Agronomic Traits in Hybrid Maize. GENETICS. 2020.
- Assessment of oxygen sequestration on effectiveness of Purdue Improved Crop Storage (PICS) bags in reducing carotenoid degradation during post-harvest storage of two biofortified orange maize genotypes. 2019. Journal of Cereal Science. 87: 68-77.
- Genome-Wide Association Study and Pathway-Level Analysis of Kernel Color in Maize. 2019. G3: Genes|Genomes|Genetics. 9 (6): 1945 LP - 1955.
- Steeping of Biofortified Orange Maize Genotypes for Ogi Production Modifies Pasting Properties and Carotenoid Stability. Agronomy. 2019; 9(11):771
- Carotenoid Stability during Dry Milling, Storage, and Extrusion Processing of Biofortified Maize Genotypes. 2018.
- High-density linkage mapping of vitamin E content in maize grain. 2018.
- A Foundation for Provitamin A Biofortification of Maize: Genome-Wide Association and Genomic Prediction Models of Carotenoid Levels. 2014.
- Genome-wide association study of leaf architecture in the maize nested association mapping population. 2011.
- Rare genetic variation at Zea mays crtRB1 increases β-carotene in maize grain. 2010.
- The Genetic Architecture of Maize Flowering Time. 2009.
- C. Harjes, T. Rocheford, L. Bai, T. Brutnell, C. B.Kandianis,S.Sowinski, A.Stapleton, R. Vallabhaneni, M. Williams, E. Wurtzel,,J. Yan, E. Buckler. 2008. Natural Genetic Variation in Lycopene Epsilon Cyclase Tapped for Maize Biofortification. Science 319: 330-330.
- J.J. Wassom, V. Mikkelineni, M.O. Bohn, and T.R. Rocheford. 2008. QTL for Fatty Acid Composition of Maize Kernel Oil in Illinois High Oil × B73 Backcross-Derived Lines.Crop Sci. 48: 69-78.
- J. Wassom, J. Wong, E. Martinez, J. King, J. DeBaene, J. Hotchkiss, V. Mikkilineni, M. Bohn, and T. Rocheford 2008. QTL Associated with Maize Kernel Oil, Protein, and Starch Concentrations; Kernel Mass; and Grain Yield in Illinois High Oil × B73 Backcross-Derived Lines Crop Science 48: 243-252
- S. Li, F.A.. Tayie, M. F. Young, T. Rocheford, and W. S. White. 2007. Retention of Provitamin A Carotenoids in High -Carotene Maize (Zea mays) During Traditional African Household ProcessingJ. Agric. Food Chem., 55 (26), 10744-10750
- R.A. Stevens and T.R. Rocheford. 2007. Prospects for Using Marker-Assisted Breeding to Improve Maize Production in Africa. The Journal of the Science of Food and Agriculture Vol
- Upadyayula, N., da Silva, H., Bohn, M., Rocheford, T.. 2006. Genetic and QTL Analysis of Maize Tassel and Ear Inflorescence Architecture. Theor Appl Genet. 112: 592-606.
- D. Clark, J. W. Dudley, T. R. Rocheford, and J. R. LeDeaux. 2006. Genetic analysis of corn kernel chemical composition in the random mated 10 generation of the cross of generations 70 of IHO x ILO Crop Science 2006 46: 807-819
- D. B. Willmot, J. W. Dudley, T. R. Rocheford, A. Bari. 2006. Effect of random mating on Marker-QTL Associations for grain quality traits in the cross of Illinois High Oil X Illinois Low Oil. Maydica (In Press)
- Bortiri, E, G Chuck, E Vollbrecht, T Rocheford, R Martienssen, and S Hake. 2006. ramosa2 Encodes a LATERAL ORGAN BOUNDARY Domain Protein That Determines the Fate of Stem Cells in Branch Meristems of Maize. Plant Cell 18: 574-585.
- N. Upadyayula, J. Wassom, M. O. Bohn, and T. R. Rocheford. 2006. QTL Analysis of Phenotypic Traits and Principle Components of Maize Tassel Architecture. Theoretical and Applied Genetics (Accepted)
- N. Upadyayula, M. Bohn, T. Rocheford 2006. Enhanced Detection of Inflorescence Architecture QTL in Recombinant Inbred Lines Derived from a Random-Mated F2 Generation. In final stages of preparation.
- Laurie, C., S. Chasalow, J. LeDeaux, R. McCarroll, D. Bush, B. Hauge, C. Lai, D.L. Clark, T.R. Rocheford, and J.W. Dudley. 2004. The Genetic Architecture of Response to Long-Term Artificial Selection for Oil Concentration in the Maize Kernel. Genetics. 168: 2141-2155.
- Wilson, L.M., S. Whitt, A. Ibanez, T. R. Rocheford, M. M. Goodman and E. S. Buckler. 2004. Dissection of Maize Kernel Composition and Starch Production by Candidate Gene Association. Plant Cell. 16: 2719-2733.
- Xiu-Fang Song, Tong-Ming Song, Jing-Rui Dai, Torbert Rocheford, and Jian-Sheng Li. 2004. QTL Mapping of Kernel Oil Concentration with High-oil Maize by SSR Markers. Maydica. 49: 41-48.
- Moose, S.P., J.W. Dudley, T.R. Rocheford. 2004. Maize selection passes the century mark: a unique resource for 21st century genomics. Trends in Plant Science. 9: 358-364.
- Dudley, J.W., A. Dijkhuizen, C. Paul, S.T. Coates, and T.R. Rocheford. 2004. Effects of random mating on marker-QTL associations in the Illinois high protein x Illinois low protein maize strains. Crop Sci. 44:1419-1428.
- S. Hake,T.R. Rocheford. 2004. Exploiting Quantitative Trait Loci in Gene Discovery. Genes Dev. 18:597-601.
- V. Mikkilineni and T.R Rocheford. 2004. Restriction Fragment Length Polymorphism Variant Frequency Differences Among Illinois Long-Term Selection Protein Strains. Plant Breeding Reviews. 24:111-131
- J.C. Wong, R.J. Lambert, E. T. Wurtzel, and T.R. Rocheford. 2004. QTL and Candidate Genes Phytoene Synthase and zeta-Carotene Desaturase Associated with Accumulation of Carotenoids in Maize. Theor. Appl. Genet. 108:349-359.
- C.O. Egesel, J.C. Wong, R.J. Lambert, and T.R. Rocheford. 2004. Gene Dosage Effects on Carotenoid Concentration in Maize Grain. Maydica 48:183-190.
- J. Wassom, V. Mikkilineni, and T.R. Rocheford. 2004. Analysis of QTL for Fatty Acids in Maize High-Oil Backcross Population. Euphytica (Submitted, Reviews Received, Under Revision)
- J. Wassom, J. Wong, E. Martinez, J. King, J. Debaene, J. Hotchkiss, V. Mikkilineni, and T.R. Rocheford. 2004. QTL Associated with Maize Kernel Composition and Related Traits Among Illinois High Oil × B73 Backcross-Derived Lines. Theor. Appl. Genet. (Submitted, Reviews Received, Under Revision)
- Jeffrey C. Wong, Yaakov Tadmor, Robert J. Lambert, and Torbert R. Rocheford. 2003. QTL Associated with Accumulation of Tocopherols in Maize. Crop Sci. 43:2257-2266.
- Egesel, C.O., J. C. Wong, R. J. Lambert, and T. R. Rocheford. 2003. Combining Ability of Maize Inbreds for Carotenoids and Tocopherols. Crop Sci. 43:818-823.
- Mikkilineni, V., and T.R Rocheford. 2003. Sequence Variation and Genomic Organization of Fatty Acid Desaturase-2 (fad2) and Fatty Acid Desaturase-6 (fad6) cDNAs in Maize. Theor. Appl. Genet. 106: 1326-1332.
- Paul, C., G. Naidoo, A. Forbes, D. White, and T. Rocheford. 2003.Quantitative Trait Loci for Low Aflatoxin Production in Two Related Maize Populations. Theor. Appl. Genet. 107: 263-270.
- J. A. Juvik, G. G. Yousef, T. Han, Y. Tadmor, F. Azanza, W. F. Tracy, A. Bar-Zur, T. R. Rocheford. 2003. QTL influencing kernel chemical composition and seedling stand establishment in maize with the shrunken and sugary enhancer1 endosperm mutations. Journal of the American Society for Horticultural Sciences 128:864-875
- Dunford, Roy P., Masahiro Yano, Nori Kurata, Takuji Sasaki, Gorddon Huestis, Torbert Rocheford, and David A. Laurie. 2002. Comparative mapping of the barley Ppd-H1 photoperiod response gene, which lies close to a junction between two rice linkage segments. Genetics 161: 825-834.
- Rocheford, Torbert R., Jeffrey C. Wong, Cem O. Egesel, and Robert J. Lambert. 2002. Enhancement of Vitamin E Levels in Corn. Journal of American College of Nutrition 21:3:191-198 S.
- Naidoo, G., A.M. Forbes, C. Paul, D.G. White, and T.R. Rocheford. 2002. Resistance to Aspergillus Ear Rot and Aflatoxin Accumulation in Maize F1 Hybrids. Crop Sci 42:360-364.
- Troyer, A. Forrest, and Torbert R. Rocheford. 2002. Germplasm Ownership: Related Corn Inbreds. Crop Sci 42:3-11.
- Wassom, J.J., C. Mei, T. R. Rocheford, and J. M. Widholm. 2001. Interaction of environment and ABA and GA treatments on the maize another culture response. Plant Cell, Tissue and Organ Culture 64:69-72.
- Tadmor, Yaakov, Olga Larkov, Ayala Meir, Michael Minkoff, Elena Lastochkin, Menahem Edelstein, Shulamit Levin, James Wong, Torbert Rocheford, and Efraim Lewinsohn. 2000. Reversed-phase high performance liquid chromatographic determination of vitamin E components in maize kernels. Phytochemical Analysis 11:370-374.
- Wassom, J. J., C. Mei, T. R. Rocheford, and J. M. Widholm. 2000. Allelic variation in candidate genes associated with QTL for the maize anther culture response. Maydica 45:267-276.
- Selig, L, R.J.Lambert, T.R. Rocheford, and W.J. daSilva. 1999. RFLP and cluster analysis of introgression of exotic germplasm into U.S. maize inbreds. Maydica 44:85-92.
- Berke, T.G. and T.R. Rocheford. 1999. Quantitative Trait Loci for Tassel Traits in Maize. Crop Sci 39:1439-1443.
- Dijkhuizen, A., J. W. Dudley, T. R. Rocheford, A. E. Haken and S. R. Eckhoff. 1998. Near infrared reflectance and 100g Wet-milling analysis for measuring maize kernel composition. Cereal Chemistry 75:266-270.
- Beaumont, V. H., J. Mantet, T. R. Rocheford, J. M. Widholm. 1996. Comparison of RFLP and RAPD markers for mapping F2 generations in maize (Zea mays L.). Theor. Appl. Genet. 93:606-612.
- Kaufman, B., T. R. Rocheford, R. J. Lambert and A. R. Hallauer. 1996. Change in ribosomal DNA spacer-Iength composition in maize recurrent selection populations. 2. Analysis of BS10, BS11, RBS10, and RSSSC. Theor. Appl. Genet. 92:680-687.
- Azanza, F., Y. Tadmor, B. P. Klein, T. R. Rocheford and J. A. Juvik. 1996. QTL influencing chemical and sensory characteristics of eating quality in sweet corn. Genome. 39:40-50.
- Beaumont, V. H., T. R. Rocheford and J. M. Widholm. 1995. Mapping the anther culture response genes in maize (Zea mays L.). Genome. 38:968-975.
- Alrefai, R., T. G. Berke and T. R. Rocheford. 1995. QTL for fatty acid composition in maize. Genome. 38:894-901.
- Berke, T. G. and T. R. Rocheford. 1995. Quantitative trait loci controlling plant height, days to male anthesis, and kernel composition in a cross of Illinois high oil by Illinois low oil maize strains. Crop Sci. 35:1542-1549.
- Tadmor, Y., F. Azanza, T.R. Rocheford and J.A. Juvick. 1995. RFLP mapping of the sugary enhancer-1 gene in sweet corn. Theor. Appl. Genet. 91:489-494.
- Alrefai, R., B. Orozco, and T.R. Rocheford. 1994. Identification and characterization of a the maize transposable element ILS-1. Plant Physiol. 106:803-804.
- Goldman, I.L., T.R. Rocheford, and J.W. Dudley. 1994. Molecular markers linked to genes influencing maize kernel oil concentration in an Illinois high protein x Illinois low protein cross. Crop Sci. 34:908-915.
- Rocheford, T.R. 1994. Change in ribosomal DNA intergenic spacer composition in maize recurrent selection populations 1. BS13, BSSS and BSCB1. Theor. Appl. Genet. 88:541-547.