Services and Fees
The Purdue University Plant and Pest Diagnostic Laboratory works for you to identify many types of plant problems and related issues. We work with both physical samples and digital images. We accept both commercial samples of all types and homeowner samples. This service is available to anyone in the continental United States. However, if you reside outside of Indiana we suggest you contact your local |Extension Service office or a diagnostic lab in your region for assistance.
Follow this link for University Related Plant Disease and Soil Testing Services located in the United States.
Identification and control recommendations for:
- Plant diseases
- Identification of unknown plants, including weeds
- Nutritional problems*
- Other non-infectious problems
- Vertebrate pests
* The PPDL does not provide soil or tissue testing. You may wish to refer to this abbreviated list of certified soil and plant analysis testing labs (pdf file) for these services. Michigan State University runs a Soil and Plant Nutrient Laboratory. You may access submission and testing fee information at the following website:www.spnl.msu.edu/
The Purdue Nematology lab has closed. Click here for a list of other nematode labs.
Per Sample Handling Fee: Includes routine isolations, microscope exam and diagnosis of physical samples and/or digital images:
From within Indiana: $11.00
Outside of Indiana: $22.00
- Virus testing (individual serological tests, up to 4 viruses): $25
- Bacterial identification to genus via 16S sequencing: $25 in-state; $50 outside Indiana
- Molecular tests for specific pathogens: $50 Currently not accepting samples.
- Soybean brown stem rot/Soybean sudden death syndrome: $50
- Wheat viruses screen: $50 Currently not accepting samples.
- Sequencing to identify pathogens to species: $25-100 depending on pathogen group.
rare cases samples requiring extensive laboratory time may be charged
additional fees. These will be determined in consultation with the
Per Sample Fee for Herbicide Resistance Testing in Weeds
Per Sample Price: Currently not accepting samples. Call for list of other labs.
We accept payment in the form of cash, money orders, or personal checks.
PLEASE MAKE CHECKS OUT TO PURDUE UNIVERSITY We do not accept credit card payments.
Diagnostic responses are sent by email (or by US mail or fax upon request).
There will be no additional sample handling fee for any follow-up samples that might be requested by diagnosticians who require additional samples for a more accurate identification or diagnosis of the problem. Additional fees related to advanced testing for viruses and bacteria may be charged for follow-up samples.