Outstanding Faculty Researcher, Department of Agriculture, Illinois State University
Outstanding Faculty Teacher, Department of Agriculture, Illinois State University
Red Tassel Award for Outstanding Service, Department of Agriculture, Illinois State University
Outstanding Graduate Student Ph.D. Research Award, Purdue University, Agronomy Department
1. Hodgskiss, C. L., B. G. Young, S. D. Armstrong, and W. G. Johnson. 2021. Evaluating cereal rye and crimson clover for weed suppression within buffer areas in dicamba-resistant soybean. Weed Technology, 1-8. doi:10.1017/wet.2020.12.
2. Thompson, N. M., C. J. Reeling, M. R. Fleckinstein, L. S. Prokopy, and S. D. Armstrong, 2021. Examining Intensity of Conservation Practice Adoption: Evidence from Cover Crop Use on U.S. Midwest Farms. Food Policy, DOI: 10.1016/j.foodpol.2021.102054.
3. Sadeghpour, A., O. Adeymi, D. Hunter, Y. Lua, and S. D. Armstrong. 2021. Precision planting impacts on winter cereal rye growth, nutrient uptake, spring soil temperature and adoption cost. Renewable Agriculture and Food Systems. doi: https://doi.org/10.1017/S1742170520000411
4. DeSimini, S. A., K. D. Gibson, S. D. Armstrong, M. Zimmer, Maia, O. R. Lucas & W. G. Johnson. 2020. Effect of cereal rye and canola on winter and summer annual weed emergence in corn. Weed Technology, 34(6): 787-793. doi: 10.1017/wet.2020.51.
5. Thompson, N., S.D. Armstrong, R. Roth, and M.D. Ruffatti. 2020. Direct short-run economic returns to a predominantly cereal rye cover crop mix in a traditional midwest corn-soybean rotation. Agronomy Journal 112:1068–1083
6. Lacey, C., C. J. Nevins, J. Camberato, E. Kladivko, and S.D. Armstrong. 2020. Carbon and nitrogen release from cover crop residues and implications for cropping systems management. Journal of Soil and Water Conservation 75:505-514
7. Nevins, C.J., C. Lacey and S.D. Armstrong. 2019. The synchrony of cover crop decomposition, enzyme activity, and nitrogen availability in a corn agroecosystem. Soil and Tillage Research https://doi.org/10.1016/j.still.2019.104518
8. Ruffatti, M.D., R. Roth, C. Lacey, and S.D. Armstrong. 2019. Impacts of nitrogen application timing and cover crop inclusion on subsurface drainage water quality. Agricultural Water Management 211:81-88.
9. Roth. R., M.D. Ruffatti, P.D. O'Rourke, and S.D. Armstrong. 2017. A cost analysis approach to valuating cover crop environmental and nitrogen cycling benefits: A central Illinois on-farm case study. Agricultural Systems 159:67-77.