21 Questions for Tanner Wise
1. What is your hometown? Fairmount, IN
(Fun Fact: Fairmount was the boyhood home of James Dean, who was also laid to rest there.)
2. Where did you go to high school? Madison-Grant High School
3. What is your major and concentration? Animal Sciences - Biosciences
4. What is your expected graduation date? May 2018 (1 year early!)
5. Why did you choose Purdue for undergrad? For the excellent Ag and Animal Sciences programs. Turned down basketball scholarships at other smaller schools because they couldn't compete with Purdue Ag.
6. What are your plans after graduation? Hope to pursue a Master of Science in non-ruminant nutrition, specifically poultry.
7. What is your 'spirit animal?' Some type of raptor
8. What is your favorite organization joined at Purdue? Animal Sciences Ambassadors, since Spring 2016; also a member of Poultry Science Club.
9. What is your proudest achievement while at Purdue? Winning the Indiana State Poultry Association Scholarship for 2016-2017 school year.
10. What was your favorite class taken at Purdue? ANSC 102: Intro to Animal Agriculture with Dr. John Patterson
11. What is your favorite Purdue tradition? Animal Sciences Quadrathlon
12. What is the best thing about the College of Ag? It's very well-known which helps with exposure and networking.
13. What is the best thing about the Department of Animal Sciences? It makes a big place feel small and more connected.
14. What is the best on-campus study spot? Marriott Hall
15. What is your favorite place in town? Horticulture Park
16. What is the most important thing you've learning outside of the classroom? Relationship building is key - this can make you better and get you further than if you just to go class and listen to lectures.
17. Where do you hope to study abroad? Melbourne, Australia
18. What internships and/or research activities have you participated in?
Summer 2016: chemical delivery as a CDL operator for Crop Production Services in Warren, IN
Summer 2016: conducted an independent research project to determine which diet and class of chickens was best for raising laying hens in a backyard setting
Spring Break 2016
: collected samples from laying hens that used thermocooled roosts with Dr. Scotti Hester
19. What is your favorite quote? "Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle." - Abraham Lincoln
20. What are your hobbies? Playing basketball, riding bicycles, watching movies/shows on Netflix.
21. What advice would you give to incoming students? Get involved and go to events that are held so you can interact with people. Get to know your peers.