Department of Agronomy Strategic Plan Goals
#1 FILL GAPS AND DEVELOP OPPORTUNITIES WITH OUR CURRICULUM AND OUTCOMES IN OUR MAJORS
- Identify low priority/low enrollment courses (2015) and eliminate courses, merge content into other courses, or adapt the course to include content gaps in the curriculum.
- Create a teaching expectations and guidelines document for Agronomy faculty.
- Evaluate the current curriculum within majors to identify potential gaps or redundancies.
- Quantify the collective teaching resources (faculty space/facilities equipment) and quantify the teaching effort of our faculty.
- Utilize industry to develop a list of desired soft and technical skills needed among our graduates. See how these can be integrated into curriculum.
- Create two additional entry level core/service courses in Agronomy.
- Create a professional certification program for Agronomy, work with professional societies (SSSA) and the CCA program to accomplish this goal. A path for all students to have taken certified soil & crop exams to become SSAs & CCAs.
#2 INCREASE ENROLLMENT
- Increase undergraduate enrollment by 20%. Year 5 should reach enrollment goal.
- Highlight career opportunities that exist in plants, soil, water, & climate.
- Highlight areas where students can make an impact in plants, soil, water, & climate.
- Develop a marketing plan to accomplish goal.
- Incorporate the OAP Plant Science Recruitment and Outreach activities.
- Utilize the Experience Purdue campaign.
- Participate in summer pre-MASI & MASI programs.
#3 INCREASE THE REACH OF OUR EDUCATION PORTFOLIO
- Develop a Global Food Security MS program.
- Develop a Global Food Security course.
- Develop online courses.
- Increase student numbers with International Experience including study abroad courses led by our faculty.
- Develop a 3-credit university core course for crops/soil/environment.
- Assess potential for summer school course offerings.
- Develop a professional master’s program.
- Increase participation in Graduate Teaching Certificate Program.
#4 DEVELOP AND IMPLEMENT A MARKETING PLAN
- Explore use of a professional firm.
- Complete a ranking study to highlight our stature.
- Develop a brand that we use in all phases of department.
- Revise vision and mission statements.
- Revise website.
- Highlight our graduates - where they are and what they are doing?
- Create yearly newsletters.
- Create monthly bulletins.
#5 DEVELOP AND IMPLEMENT A PHILANTHROPY/DEVELOPMENT PLAN
- Identify key target areas for funding:
& new building
- Identify funding sources.
- Clarify role of faculty.