Paul's Main Page
- Phage therapy and biology
- Development of safe and effective antibacterial therapies for use in food animals
- Characterization of the roles different management practices play in foodborne disease transmission
1. Ebner PD*, Ghoryar AM, McNamara K, Amini R, Azizi E, Faqiri AE, Isaqzai NA, Rahimi Z, Sakhee N, Sarwary S, Sofizada M. 2016. Quality and safety assessment of milk in Herat Province, Afghanistan. Journal of Food Safety and Hygiene. (Submitted).
2. Hong Y, Thimmapuram J, Zhang J, Collings C, Bhide K, Schmidt, Ebner PD*. 2016. The impact of orally administered phages on host immune response and surrounding microbial communities. Bacteriophage. (Accepted, in process).
3. Hong Y, Scmidt K, Marks D, Hatter S, Marshall A, Albino L, Ebner PD*. 2016. Treatment of Salmonella Contaminated Eggs and Pork with a Broad-Spectrum, Single Bacteriophage: Assessment of Efficacy and Resistance Development. Foodborne Pathogens and Diseases. (Accepted, in press).
4. Zhang J, Pan Y, Hong Y, Fealy M, Das A, Martin C, Mahlie J, Walton K, Ebner PD*. 2015. Physiological and molecular characterization of Salmonella bacteriophages used in phage therapy. Journal of Food Protection. 78:2143-9.
5. Deng P, Rostagno MH, Ebner RD, SD Eicher. 2015. Differential innate immune responses of bovine peripheral blood leukocytes to Salmonella enterica serovars Dublin, Typhimmurium, and Enteritidis. Veterinary Immunology. 165(1-2):14-21.
6. Hong Y, Pan Y, Ebner PD*. 2014. Development of bacteriophage treatments to reduce E. coli O157:H7 contamination of beef products and produce. Journal of Animal Science. 92:1366-1377.
7. Zhang J, Hong Y, Harman N, Das A, Ebner PD*. 2014. Genome sequence of a Salmonella phage used to control Salmonella transmission in Swine. GenomeA. doi: 10.1128/genomeA.00521-14.
8. Hong Y, Pan Y, Harman N, Ebner PD*. 2014. Complete genome sequences of two Escherichia coli O157:H7 phages effective in limiting contamination of food products. Genome A. doi: 10.1128/genomeA.00519-14.
9. Zhang J, Massow A, Stanley M, Papariella M, Chen X, Kraft B, Ebner PD*. 2011. Contamination rates and antimicrobial resistance in Enterococcus, spp., E. coli and Salmonella isolated from "no antibiotics added" chicken products. Foodborne Pathogens and Disease. 8:1147-1152.
10. Saez AC, Zhang J, Rostagno MH, Ebner PD*. 2011. Direct feeding of microencapsulated bacteriophages to reduce Salmonella colonization in pigs. Foodborne Pathogens and Disease. 12:1269-1274.
11. Wall SK, Zhang J, Rostagno MH, Ebner PD*. 2010. Use of phage therapy to reduce lairage associated Salmonella infections under production-like conditions. Applied and Environmental Microbiology. 76:48-53.
12. Zhang J, Wall SK, Xu L, Ebner PD*. 2010. Contamination rates and antibiotic resistance patterns in conventionally raised vs. grass-fed beef samples. Foodborne Pathogens and Disease. 7:1331-1336.
13. Zhang J, Kraft BK, Pan Y, Wall SK, Saez A, Ebner PD*. 2010. Development of an anti-Salmonella phage cocktail with increased host range. Foodborne Pathogens and Disease. 7:1415-1420.
14. Breitenback JE, Ebner PD, O'Callaghan DJ. 2009. The IR4 auxiliary regulatory protein expands the in vitro host range of equine herpesvirus 1 and is essential for pathogenesis in the murine model. Virology. 383:188-194.
15. Ebner PD* and O'Callaghan DJ. 2006. Genetic complexity of EHV-1 defective interfering particles and identification of novel IR4/UL5 hybrid proteins produced during persistent infection. Virus Genes. 32(3):313-320.
16. Ebner PD*, Kim S, O'Callaghan DJ. 2008. Biological and genotypic properties of defective interfering particles of equine herpesvirus 1 that mediate persistent infection. Virology. 381:98-105.
17. Mathew AG, Garner KN, Ebner PD, Saxton AM, Clift RE, Liamthong S*. 2005. Effects of antibiotic use in sows on resistance of E. coli and Salmonella enterica Typhimurium in their offspring. Foodborne Pathogens and Disease. 2(3):212-220.
18. Murinda SE, Ebner PD, Nguyen LT, Mathew AG, Oliver SP*. 2005. Antimicrobial resistance and class 1 integrons in pathogenic Escherichia coli from Dairy farms. Foodborne Pathogens and Disease. 2(4):348-352.
19. Ebner P*, Garner K, Mathew A. 2004. Class I integrons in various Salmonella enterica serovars isolated from animals and identification of genomic island SG1 in Salmonella enterica var Meleagridis. Journal of Antimicrobial Chemotherapy. 53(6):1004-1009.
20. Mathew AG and Ebner PD*. 2004. Issues of Drug Use and Antibiotic Resistance in Pig Production. Pig News and Information. 25(4):133-147.
21. Bemis DA, Owston MA, Lickey ALA, Kania SA, Ebner P, Rohrbach BW, Ramsay EC. 2003. Comparison of phenotypic traits and genetic relatedness of Salmonella enterica subspecies arizonae isolates from a colony of ridgenose rattlesnakes with osteomyelitis. Journal of Veterinary Diagnostic Investigations. 15(4):382-287.
22. Mathew AG*, Arnett DB, Cullen P, Ebner PD*. 2003. Characterization of resistance patterns and detection of apramycin resistance genes in Escherichia coli isolated from swine exposed to various environmental conditions. International Journal of Food Microbiology. 89(1):11-20.
23. Ebner PD* and Mathew AG. 2001. Three molecular methods to identify Salmonella enterica serotype Typhimurium DT104: PCR fingerprinting, multiplex PCR and rapid PFGE. FEMS Microbiology Letters. 205(1):25-29.
24. Ebner PD* and Mathew AG. 2000. Effects of antibiotic regimens on the fecal shedding patterns of pigs infected with Salmonella typhimurium. Journal of Food Protection. 63(6):709-714.