REU Site: Purdue Undergraduate Research Experiences for Plant Biology and Data Science (PURE-PD)
Our 2022 summer program dates: Mon., May 23 - Fri., July 29
Click here to apply
About the Program
The Purdue Undergraduate Research Experiences for Plant Biology and Data Science (PURE-PD) is 10-week immersive research program that connects undergraduate researchers with state-of-the-art authentic research in plant biology and big-data driven science practices. The PURE-PD program is sponsored by the National Science Foundation.
Undergraduate researchers participating the PURE-PD program are provided a $6000 stipend, $750 meal allowance, on-campus housing, and travel to/from the Purdue University West Lafayette campus.
Based upon the Purdue Center for Plant Biology, PURE-PD offers world-class research opportunities in basic plant biology at many scales. Undergraduate researchers participating the PURE-PD program will explore big data-driven science addressing a broad range of biological problems and methods, including bioinformatics, biochemistry, molecular genetics, physiology and ecology. Research projects in the proposed program are diverse and include the regulation of nutrition signals, plant health monitoring, plant host-pathogen interactions, and the regulation of developmental processes.
For more detailed information on the specific research area offered by each PURE-PD program faculty mentor, please check the Purdue Center for Plant Biology faculty page.
Undergraduate researchers participating the PURE-PD program will have the opportunity to:
- Receive individualized research experiences with hypothesis-driven research projects that are agriculturally and environmentally relevant and carry significance to the society;
- Learn how data science approaches can be used to solve plant biology questions;
- Participate in professional development activities that focus on best practices in conducting research;
- Build a network with experts from academia, industry, and the local community.
In addition to hands-on research experience conducted in world-class facilities, participating undergraduate researchers will also be involved in:
- Weekly professional development workshops introducing the fundamental standards for working in a research environment, including research ethics, information literacy, data management, scholarly communication, and career development;
- Research roundtable discussions with faculty to explore a breadth of research questions in plant biology;
- Career development luncheons that offer opportunities for undergraduate researchers to explore and prepare for their potential career in science;
- The Purdue Summer Undergraduate Research Symposium to present their results and interact and network with their undergraduate peers;
- A variety of social activities to network and get familiar with the local community.
We encourage applications from students majoring in agricultural and life science areas who are interested in plant biology and show enthusiasm working in science as a career.
- Applicants must be enrolled in a degree-granting program at the U.S. college or university (2-year or 4-year);
- Applicants must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents;
- Applicants must have at least one semester of undergraduate study remaining after completing the PURE-PD program.
Applications are due by April 8th, 2022 11:59 pm ET.
- Electronic copy of the applicant’s transcripts from the current institution;
- A statement of interest (no more 500 words) describing the applicant’s educational and career goals, science background, and expectations for a successful summer experience;
- Two letters of recommendations (applicants need to submit contact information of referees with their applications);
- (optional) Self-calculated STEM GPA.
To apply for the PURE-PD program, please complete the ONLINE APPLICATION FORM.
- It’s recommended to have the required materials ready when you fill out the application form, because you may not able to get back to an incomplete form;
- Once your application form is submitted, you will receive an email confirmation on the successful submission. The application will generate automatic email invitations to your referees to request letters of recommendations. You will receive an email confirmation once each recommendation letter is obtained.
If you encounter any technical issue with the application, or have any questions related to the PURE-PD program, please email Professor Chao Cai at email@example.com.