Hops and Brewing Analysis Lab
Our Hops and Brewing Analysis Lab remains closed due to the COVID-19 Pandemic. Purdue is currently working on COVID-19 SOP action plan in order to get all laboratories back online with implementation of above said plan; however, that process is ramping up slowly across the University in a 3-Phase process- only labs deemed critical/essential for research purposes were allowed to function at this time. Unfortunately, we will not be operational for Hops Testing this 2020 Season or brewing analysis at this time.
We apologize for any inconvenience in advance. Here is a link to recommended analysis lab in Madision, WI (AAR Labs) that encompasses hops and brewing analysis:
Analyzing Hops from "farm to glass"
The vision of the Hops and Brewing Analysis Laboratory is to provide a comprehensive analytical testing portfolio that serves both the Craft Brewer and Hop Farmer in the Indiana brewing industry. Using scientific standard methods developed by the American Society of Brewing Chemists (ASBC), the Hops and Brewing Analysis staff work with the agricultural and craft brewing industries testing hops, malted grains, and finished goods. Data is used to support and aid development of our agricultural and industrial stakeholders.
- Hops Testing and Analysis
- Malted Grain Efficiency and Analysis
- Brewing and Fermented Product Analysis
Types of Testing
- Hops: % Moisture, Alpha/Beta Acid Content, Hops Storage Index
- Malted Grains: Mealiness, % Moisture, Extracts, and Color/Brightness
- Brewing: ABV, IBU, Caloric Content, Specific Gravity (Original/Finish), Extracts (Apparent, Real), Color, pH
- Total Oils (Hops) and Dissolved CO2 (Brewing)
- Industry Standard Equipment
- Controlled Environmental Conditions
- Computerized data collection and reporting system
We provide specific analysis, testing design, and research opportunities customized and developed to suit the needs of clientele.
For more details on how Purdue Food Science Hops and Brewing Analysis Laboratory may serve you, please contact:
Research Scientist/Lab Manager
Hops and Brewing Analysis Laboratory