Farmer-To-Farmer Trinidad & Tobago
Addressing Food and Nutrition Security
The USAID-funded John Ogonowski and Doug Bereuter Farmer-to-Farmer Program provides technical assistance to farmers, farm groups, agribusinesses and other agriculture sector institutions in developing and transitional countries to promote sustainable improvements in food security and agricultural processing, production, and marketing.
- Started with 1985 Agricultural Development and Trade Act (Farm Bill), proposed by Representative Bereuter of Nebraska
- Farm Bill provides authorization in 5-year periods
- Currently in the 2019-2023 cycle
- To generate rapid, sustained economic growth in the agricultural sector
- To increase the American public's understanding of international development issues and programs and international understanding of the U.S. and U.S. development programs
Facts about Trinidad & Tobago
- Located in the Caribbean between the Caribbean Sea and North Atlantic Ocean
- Northeast of Venezuela
- Slightly smaller than Delaware
- Tropical with a rainy season (June to December)
- Mostly plains with a few low mountains
- Natural Resources: petroleum, natural gas, asphalt (Pitch Lake)
- Land use: ag 10%, forest 44%, other 45%
- Environmental issues: water pollution from agricultural chemicals, industrial wastes, and raw sewage; widespread pollution of waterways and coastal areas; illegal dumping; deforestation; soil erosion; fisheries and wildlife depletion
TT09 Development and Fundamentals of a Successful Cooperative.pdf
TT10 Farm Business Management for Women.pdf
TT11 Online Sales.pdf
For more information, contact:
Farmer-to-Farmer Trinidad & Tobago Program Director
News About the Project
Purdue Farmer-to-Farmer Program Switches to Virtual Assignments
Purdue IPIA to administer capacity-building program in Trinidad and Tobago
Archived Farmer-to-Farmer Projects
Columbia - Farmer to Farmer Project
Colombia - Farmer to Farmer Facebook Page
Columbia - Farmer to Farmer Blog
Click here to read more about the 40 volunteers that supported this projects success.
Farmer-to-Farmer Implementing Organizations
Below is the list of implementing organizations, and the countries they cover.
- CNFA F2F Program with core countries in Malawi, Mozambique, Angola, Madagascar, Zambia, Zimbabwe and Moldova
- ACDIVOCA F2F Program with core countries in Georgia, Armenia, and Honduras
- Catholic Relief Services (CRS) F2F Program with core countries in Benin, Ethiopia, Nepal, Rwanda, Timor-Leste, Mali, and Uganda
- Land O'Lakes F2F Program with core countries in Ethiopia, Madagascar, Malawi, Mozambique, Tanzania, Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Timor-Leste, Egypt, Lebanon, Morocco
- Partners of the Americas F2F Program with core countries in Haiti, Guatemala, Dominican Republic, Nicaragua
- Winrock International F2F Program with core countries in Burma, Ghana, Guinea, Nigeria, Senegal
- National Cooperative Business Association (NBCA) Clusa International with core countries in El Salvador, Honduras, and Peru.
- International Executive Service Corps (IESC) with core countries in Africa, Asia, Europe, Latin America, and Middle East.