Certification of commercial applicators in Indiana is a legal requirement for anyone who applies any pesticide (herbicide, insecticide, fungicide, rodenticide, etc.) including General Use Pesticides (GUP) and Restricted Use Products (RUP) to someone else’s property as a for-hire service.

Commercial applicator certification is also required for anyone who applies Restricted Use Pesticides only:

  • on the property of their employer as a function of their job (i.e. School property, Golf courses); and/or
  • as an employee of a state or local governmental agency.

Certification is also required for anyone who applies agricultural fertilizers (Category 14) commercially, applies lawn (Category 3b) fertilizers commercially, or who inspects structures for wood-damaging pests (Category 12).