Program dates: January 3 - May 5, 2023
Appointment type: Half time graduate student research assistantship
Eligibility: Must currently be enrolled in a Ph.D. program in College of Agriculture, Purdue University
Professional experience outside of research and teaching is important for agriculture students preparing for a non-research career, and such experience can give students a new perspective on the impacts of their academic work. Experience in technology commercialization is a natural fit for graduate students in the College of Agriculture to broaden their professional skill set while giving back to the College. During the course of this program, jointly supported by the College of Agriculture and the Office of Technology Commercialization (OTC), the student will research the market potential of innovations well matched to their field of study and will work with OTC to identify commercialization partners for these technologies. . The student will contribute subject matter expertise to OTC and augment OTC’s capacity to assess and market technologies. The students will have opportunity to participate in drafting and negotiation of commercialization agreements. The student will also have the opportunity to bring their findings back to the inventor’s laboratory to guide future research, increasing the potential for success in licensing, and driving future invention disclosures.
Student applicants should submit a cover letter along with their resume to Agricultural Research and Graduate Education, email@example.com.
Application date for full consideration is December 1, 2022 @ 5:00 pm.
- Review invention disclosures and related information submitted by Purdue Inventors
- Perform market research to understand the competitive environment (Internet searches, industry publications, calling organizations)
- Evaluate potential market opportunities of each technology and their value proposition in given market
- Write non‐confidential technology summaries for marketing purposes
- Identify potential commercialization/licensing partners and business contacts relevant to each technology
- Assist in the preparation of Confidentiality Agreements and other agreements relevant to the cases
- Participate in business calls and meetings resulting from marketing efforts
- Report on progress and meet with staff members on regular basis
- Strong written and verbal communication skills required.
- Must have strong analytical skills including simplifying complex technical details for non-technical audience.
- Advanced research capabilities required.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively and meet short deadlines.
- Effective at setting priorities, time management and maintaining confidentiality.
- Eager to work in a highly motivated and collaborative environment.Knowledge/interest in intellectual property rights and protection, and the commercialization/marketing of such intellectual property.