Financial Assistance

Graduate students may choose to self-fund their graduate studies. If they are interested in finding financial assistance, there are three sources: (1) Fellowships, (2) Assistantships, and (3) Scholarships.


Fellowships come from a wide variety of areas, and are funded very specifically after an application process. Fellowships typically waive tuition and provide graduate students a stipend. Depending on the fellowship, it may be funded for the entire graduate program, or for a finite period, at which time the student then goes onto an assistantship. Learn about the various fellowships the Purdue offers at:

Graduate Assistantships

Graduate Assistantships are common among on-campus graduate students. Once students are admitted, it is their responsibility to find funding. Graduate students should work closely with their advisors to find graduate assistantships. Graduate assistantships in ASEC are typically funded by external grants. Graduates on assistantships pay around $750 a year. Graduate assistantships typically provide graduate students with a stipend. Graduate assistants are considered graduate staff of Purdue University and receive a salary that is considered payment for services. Students may receive an academic year appointments. Academic year appointments are typically from August 15 to May 15.


Harlan and Dorothy Parr Memorial Scholarship

The Harlan and Dorothy Parr Memorial Scholarship is awarded by the Parr family to graduate students pursuing an advanced degree in Youth Development and Agricultural Education. Each year, the Community Foundation of Greater Lafayette awards one student approximately $2,500 (varies annually) to help toward tuition and fees. The scholarship may be awarded in smaller amounts to 2 students not to exceed the annual allocation from the Community Foundation of Greater Lafayette. Application due date February 23rd  of each year

Application: Word word document