Through networking, on-campus activities, and extracurriculars, this boilermaker is carving his path in Agriculture
Name: Kenton Kamman
Hometown: Columbus, Indiana
Major & Concentration: Agribusiness Management
Minors or Certificates: Organizational Leadership Minor
Why did you come to Purdue: I was born into a Boilermaker family and watched all three of my older siblings thrive at Purdue by having the opportunity to make meaningful personal and professional connections. I enjoyed visiting them and attending the Purdue football and basketball games. Due to these positive experiences, I’ve always known I wanted to pursue my passion for agriculture at Purdue’s top-ranked agriculture program.
Favorite Purdue tradition: Grand Prix week
Top three influences at Purdue:
- The men of the Alpha Gamma Rho Fraternity
- Purdue NAMA and its members
- Ryan Musselman
Top five memories of your time at Purdue:
- Placing 4th in the 2022 NAMA Conference in Kansas City
- Purdue vs. IU games in Mackey Arena
- Tailgating before home football games
- Sledding down Slayter Hill on cookie trays
- Riding snowmobiles on campus
Places you have been as a Purdue student:
- I went to Sacramento, California for an industrial sales internship with Cummins Inc. to support specialty agriculture equipment.
- I went to Kansas City, Missouri to compete in the NAMA Conference.
Favorite club/organization: My favorite club is NAMA. In NAMA, we work as a team and spend many hours together formulating a marketing plan for a product and later presenting it at our national competition.
Favorite Student-led event/initiative: BMOC by Zeta Tau Alpha
Favorite Purdue event: Purdue Football at Ross-Ade
Favorite Social Activity: Going to Harry’s Chocolate Shop!
Favorite place to study: The parlor in the Alpha Gamma Rho Fraternity
Favorite spot on campus: Memorial Mall
Favorite thing about CoA: The faculty, my peers, and the connections available to you.
Favorite thing about your major: How versatile it is and the different opportunities I’ve been able to pursue with it.
Favorite class: AGEC 296 – Discovering Agribusiness
Favorite professor: Ryan Musselman
Coolest project: The marketing plans our NAMA team has developed each year for our competition. My favorite product so far has been EfficienSea.
Three biggest accomplishments:
- Placing 4th in the 2022 NAMA Competition
- The internships I’ve had and the connections I’ve made through them
- Earning Dean’s List and Semester Honors each semester
Things on your resume not listed above:
- VP of Logistics for NAMA club
- Class President for the Alpha Gamma Rho Fraternity
- Recipient of scholarships through the College of Ag
Where do you want to end up: Wherever my career path takes me, after a while, I’d like to end up close to home so that I can work on our family farm in the evenings.
Advice for underclassman:
- Always try to be ahead on assignments in your classes and apply yourself
- Join clubs you’re interested in
- Take your headphones out while walking to class and enjoy the company of the people around you
Biggest takeaway from Purdue: It’s not what you know; but who you know. Build connections at Purdue that will last a lifetime.