aquaculture MARKETING STRATEGIES
Illinois/Indiana aquaculture producers can be classified as small scale producers because of the volume of production. However, income opportunities exist for small-scale aquaculture operations if the production process is planned very well. One of the fundamental principles in marketing is to make marketing part of the overall production decisions. Marketing decisions should be as important as production decisions. No matter how small the aquaculture operations may be, developing a marketing plan for what is to be produced is the best strategy because once fish are produced up to marketable sizes, they have to be sold.
Purdue New Venture's Strategic Marketing Plan (MAP) is a useful template for developing an overall marketing plan for your aquaculture operations. The publication "A Guide to Marketing for Small-Scale Aquaculture Producers" will help you to plan and develop a market for your aquaculture products; and remain competitive as a small-scale aquaculture producer.
Additional marketing resources:
- Niche Marketing Your Aquaculture Products
- Marketing Options for Small Aquaculture Producers
- Small-Scale Marketing of Aquaculture Products
- Crawfish Aquaculture Marketing
- Selling Freshwater Prawns at Kentucky Festivals
- Processing and Marketing of Aquaculture Products on a Small Scale
- USDA-AMS Publications on Direct Marketing
- Developing and Implementing a Successful Marketing Plan
- Developing a Sensible and Successful Marketing Attitude